•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

89 broncoII not running.. been sitting for a few years

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just Bought an 89 BroncoII that has been sitting for the past 3+ years. Going by the oil change sticker in the windshield its been driven about 2000 miles in the past 11 years. It will only run for a second if your spray gas in the intake. I have replaced the fuel pump and strainer assembly, fuel filter and have check the fuel pump relay and inertia switch, all are working as they should. I am getting gas all the way up to the schrader valve(pressure relief valve) up by the intake. If I let sit all day it will start for a sec without spraying anything into the intake. It almost sounds like it is sooo close to starting on its own, a cylinder fires every so often. Any suggestions as to where I should look next.
Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
Can you check your fuel pressure? It should be about 40psi. Some auto parts places have a loan a tool program.

Richard

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Does it have old gas in the fuel tank? If so its probably had fuel sitting in the fuel system for all those years, and as a result everything is probably pretty dirty possibly clogged fuel injectors.

Captainstubs1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Have you checked if you have spark? Motors need three things to run fuel air and ignition.

Sent using Tapatalk

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It did have old nasty gas and a bunch of crud in the bottom of the tank. I cleaned it all out. Doesnt an injector have a filter on top?It may be totally block with same crud that was in the tank. Can injectors be cleaned? How big of a job is it to get access to the injectors?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'm not sure but from that link that Earl posted I believe they have a filter, but if there was crud in that fuel tank you can bet it is through the whole fuel system. Your best bet is to just install new injectors to start with, however I'd disconnect the fuel rail and fuel line and purge the system, in other words run fuel through everything without it connected to the engine to be sure you get the crud out of everything. Then before installing it put in a new fuel filter then hook everything back up. That should fix your problem. If not you may have a wiring issue or computer issue causing it not to get fuel.

Ranger-rick

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'm not sure but from that link that Earl posted I believe they have a filter, but if there was crud in that fuel tank you can bet it is through the whole fuel system. Your best bet is to just install new injectors to start with, however I'd disconnect the fuel rail and fuel line and purge the system, in other words run fuel through everything without it connected to the engine to be sure you get the crud out of everything. Then before installing it put in a new fuel filter then hook everything back up. That should fix your problem. If not you may have a wiring issue or computer issue causing it not to get fuel.
This would also be my guess. That crap is probably though you're entire line by now.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Each injector does have a filter in the top of it.

Regardless, if they sat for years with fuel in them, it will have formed varnish past the filter anyway (and probably rust too.) I'd pull the fuel rail and every injector and clean it all out and possibly replace the injectors.

FYI, don't try to "test fire" them with the rail pulled and the injectors stuck into it... the fuel pressure in the rail is enough to blow them out and you'll just make a mess and break the injectors if they go flying.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
FYI, don't try to "test fire" them with the rail pulled and the injectors stuck into it... the fuel pressure in the rail is enough to blow them out and you'll just make a mess and break the injectors if they go flying.
Now how did you figure that out??? This has the sound of experience behind it! lol

Richard

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Pulled the injectors out tonight and strip them of o rings cap and filter They were all brown and nasty.Got em soaking in some sea foam. I measured the resistance of each one and all measure in the 14 ohm range. Where can i find an injector rebuild kit that comes with filters? All im seeing dont come with filters, also what is best way to purge the fuel lines of all the nasty fuel.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Now how did you figure that out??? This has the sound of experience behind it! lol

Richard
Noooooo...I'd never do something like that... :icon_rofl:

Pulled the injectors out tonight and strip them of o rings cap and filter They were all brown and nasty.Got em soaking in some sea foam. I measured the resistance of each one and all measure in the 14 ohm range. Where can i find an injector rebuild kit that comes with filters? All im seeing dont come with filters, also what is best way to purge the fuel lines of all the nasty fuel.
That link above comes with filters? Is it really worth trying to rebuild the ones you have? Maybe score some good junkyard style ones would be easier.

For flushing your lines out, put the end of the line in a container and cycle the pump a few times. Should push most of it out. The line between the filter and fuel rail is pretty short so there shouldn't be a huge amount in there. Or unhook them and run carb cleaner through until it comes out clean.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I orders the injector rebuild kit online from RJM injection. I have not receive them yet and am wondering if I ever am. They will not answer phone or return emails. They say on there website that orders are shipped out faster than emails are answered. Is this place still in business?

Also.. Is there a way to check that im getting a power signal to the injectors without buying a noid light? I do have a pretty high tech Multi-Meter. Where do the injectors get their power from? I figure i can test the other electrical parts that could possible be related to my no starting problem while im waiting on my injector rebuild kit

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I checked for 12v across the injector plug with my multi meter and am getting 12v with ignition turned on, not cranking. I also check with test light from frame ground and only lights on red wire.. what does this tell me? does this mean I will get injector pulse?

Again i dont know if anything is wrong with injector pulse. I was just ruling it in or out while im waiting on injector parts

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
If you hook up your test light to an injector plug, you should get a flashing light as you crank the engine.

If you are getting nothing with the test light hooked up to only the injector plug, but then get a flashing light with it grounded to the frame, you have a grounding issue somewhere. IIRC the injectors are grounded through the ECM.

MiniMe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well after a week and a half of waiting on my injector rebuild parts I finally got em. Got the injectors installed and got the beast running tonight. I only let it run for less than a minute due to old oil and coolant and it was too dark to visually inspect engine while running. I just want to see if it would run before I sank anymore money into it. Thanks to all for the help and advice. I guess my next move is for oil change and plug and wires and maybe a cap and rotor.