•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

93 Ford Explorer

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I have a 5.0 v8 just built sitting on engine stand thinking about putting it in my explorer 4x4-got to find a tran and a few other parts first----what will I need-not going to be EFI GOING WITH 4BBL CARB--I like things the old school way.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
There is so much you will need and so much information on this site. Check the tech info and search the threads.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
like pete said u will need alot caus since ur going from efi to carbed u will need a new wiring harness i beleive. but i would be going with a efi u will would be alot happier in the end. but i gotta agree with u i would rather have a carbed 302 rather than a efi 302

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Carbs are for tards...
I just love the old carbs.so much easy -- don't have to worry about computers,and witch light is on,and what the code is.And I can get more HP A WHOLE LOT CHEAPER-------I'm don't worry about gas mileage---just love the ride-----

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Do a search, there are a million V8 swaps and more info about them than you can read.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Carbs are for terds...
Fixed that.

A carb is a toilet bowl you bolt to the top of the engine. It is not more reliable, no easier to diagnose or fix, will not produce the same power or economy and certainly not at the same time.

These days there are only two reasons for a carb. The vehcile came with one originally, or you wear a little tin foil hat, live in a shack in the woods, and think the government is trying to read your thoughts with little transmitters in the computer because the evil "Man" is out to get you.

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Fixed that.

A carb is a toilet bowl you bolt to the top of the engine. It is not more reliable, no easier to diagnose or fix, will not produce the same power or economy and certainly not at the same time.

These days there are only two reasons for a carb. The vehcile came with one originally, or you wear a little tin foil hat, live in a shack in the woods, and think the government is trying to read your thoughts with little transmitters in the computer because the evil "Man" is out to get you.
I can tell you not uses to going fast--You need to ride on my buddys Ford truck-its running a 460 v8 2x4 carbs and a 200 shot Nitrous-and I think you see the EFI needs to be in the toilet bowl if you ride with us.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
This one is hopeless, have fun with your POS, I'm out...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
a 302 with a carb tuned so it is actually driveable in a truck offroad will produce LESS power than the EFI 4.0
it is replacing and probably produce whatever torque it does produce at a higher rpm than the 4.0.

there is an enormous difference between "power" and "power where you need it"
or "power where it is useful"

added to that unless you live in a third world country what you are proposing is illegal by federal law,
and the vehicle you will create isn't emissions legal for use on public roads in ANY of the 50 states.

Enforcement (or evasion) of exsisting law in your home state is a seperate discussion I don't wish to
participate in.

Using an example of a dual quad 460 running nitrous to support the arguement of using a carb is exactly
what I'd expect an hoplessly unrealistic hillbilly to do.

THE advantage to an EFI system is if you resist your basic nature of being "insistantly ignorant"* is that if
you give it half a chance it will TELL you what is wrong with it.

I'm 50 years old and I grew up on carbs, but if someone tried to make me go back to them I'd spend
however long it took to beat them to death with a wiffle ball bat
(However many of those thin plastic blow moulded bats were required to finish the job)

* Ignorance can be cured easily enough by education, but being "insistantly ignorant"
is as good a definition of "stupidity" as I've ever heard, and stupid is often forever.
And the fact that your beliefs are shared by others, even a majority of others is
not going to do anything about the simple reality that they are WRONG.

Reality is kind of unforgiving that way.

And in the way of things the next post after completing a carb'ed V8 swap into a ranger would be
questions on how to get better than 11mpg with it....

(Where's my wiffle ball bat?)

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
I'm 55 years old and I just like the carbs---I don't see what the big deal is if you like the EFI THAT'S GREAT----but i don't understand why you think you right and i'm wrong------If the carbs are all wrong I guess nascar been wrong to for a long time.

November 2004 Street Truck of the MONTH

Last edited:

BDAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
00, 99, 00
Vehicle
Ford, Ford, Bui
Engine Size
V10, 5.4L, 3.8L v6
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I thought nascar was fuel injected and 6spd now

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
-If the carbs are all wrong I guess nascar been wrong to for a long time.
NASCAR hasn't been right, even in name, since the 70s.

I will change my mind on that when someone shows me where I can buy a factory equipped V8, carbed, RWD, manual trans Fusion.

I thought nascar was fuel injected and 6spd now
They are, as of this year IIRC.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the vehicle you will create isn't emissions legal for use on public roads in ANY of the 50 states.
I can think of certain situations where it would get stickers in certain parts of PA.

Any emissions county IF it is driven less than 5000 miles a year.

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
i stay in N.C.
ON BOARD DIAGNOSTIC EMISSIONS INSPECTION---1996 -AND UP $30.00
SAFETY INSPECTION 1995 VEHICLES OR OLDER-----$13.60

35 YEARS OLD OR ORDER DO NOT NEED A SAFETY INSPECTION

So we can run any engine carb or what 95 and back -and just pass safety inspection--they don't check it that closes

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You posted a pricing list. That is not a replacement for a cogent argument about how your local laws (that you haven't actually proven the content of) superseded federal law.

Also, I think you meant to say "they don't check it that close", not "closes".

FY549

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
i HAVE PUT 350-383 V8 IN S10 CHEVY BLAZERS AND HAVE PASS Safety EMISSIONS iNSPECTIONS AND LAST i heard they still driving them---I put one 302 in a older Ranger truck-----I like to build them the way I want them.You get time check out my Ranger TRS November 2004 Street Truck of the month

Last edited:

fordmandan87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87/92/97/11
Vehicle
Ford×3/Freightl
Engine Size
/5.0/4.0/7.3/DD15
Now as an equal lover of carbs and efi it would be cool to see your explorer fitted with a carbd v8 get the parts ya need, build it up and enjoy your handy work when your done dude.

Last edited: