•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

A4LD broken shaft????

Broncoman604

Reaction score
A Buddy of mine has a 88 bronco with the A4LD and when you put it into gear it sounds as if a shaft or gear is grinding, and will not move. It does this in all forward and reverse gears and in both 2,4HI and 4Low. Also it will not hold itself in park it acts as if it's in neutral. Just curious is there a common type of problem maybe a striped or broke output shaft or input shaft in the t-case?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
if it is, I have a good output and input shafts out of an A4LD.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Pull the t-case. If the shaft is broke it should fall right out, it would have broken near the end. If the shaft is fine then the t-case grenaded.

Matt

Broncoman604

Reaction score
OK Thanks for the info, I hope to get the truck home and on the lift this afternoon. How hard is it to swap out the Transmission output shaft, if that happens to be the case?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Reaction score
It is a pain in the butt. You have to completely disassemble the transmission.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
i will have an a4ld out of an 88 ranger in the near future. going with the 5 speed swap

Broncoman604

Reaction score
Or it could be the flexplate is busted. It's a common problem.
That would be funny because we just replace a broken flex plate in my other buddys minivan. We had to fix it first so I could start on this truck.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
it would still hold park if it was the flex plate

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Mine did this, and also would randomly start turning as I went through the gears with the selector (on jack stands). Couldn't figure it out till I dropped the A4LD pan and shook the filter. It had about a dozen needle bearings in the pickup screen. That's when the Mazda 5 speed went in and I never looked back.

Broncoman604

Reaction score
Well I really feel stupid, I was in a hurry the first time he told me about this and didn't really look at it just went by what he was saying, then when I took the trailer over to get it I just used the winch on the trailer to load it again in a hurry that morning too. Anyway Just brought the trailer home and unloaded the truck after about 10 seconds of looking at it, I figured out the rear CV style joint in the driveshaft is striped. Would it be best just to replace the whole shaft with a new shaft with standard style u-joints or just rebuild this one for him?

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Reaction score
get rid of the CV style driveshaft. I have a u-joint style driveshaft I will sell you; I just rebuilt it.