•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

AC pressure too high

Racenut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This is on a 86 b2 with a 2.9.

Trying to fix the AC. The compressor went out in it last year. Got a new dryer, orifice tube, and a remanned compressor. Put all on today. Pulled a vacuum, put one can of 134 in. Compressor started to cycle, but pressure is showing too high when compressor is not cycling. Compressor wont stay on . Pressure drops when compressor is on and then it turns off. I see some metal shavings between the pully and the outside clutch plate. Does this mean the compressor is bad?

Why is the pressure too high after only one can when the compressor is not cycling?
Thanks

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you didn't have the system flushed out there is probably debris from the old compressor in it plugging things up, damaging and contaminating the new parts.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
How about some numbers. How much is too much.

Yeah I can bet you just destroyed all your new parts by not flushing the metal out. The condenser is not flush able and must be repalced

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The condenser is not flush able and must be repalced
Depends on the year of the vehicle and the flush equipment available. I haven't had a flushed condenser come back yet.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Just my opinion, but there are two remanned items you should never purchase: water pumps and A/C compressors.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Depends on the year of the vehicle and the flush equipment available. I haven't had a flushed condenser come back yet.
It can only be flushed if it's a serpentine design. I guess an 86 ranger should have a serpentine condenser. Been a while some working on any R12 systems