•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ackerman steering principle

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Is there a difference between the steering knuckles on a 2dr Explorer and a 4dr Explorer? Technically, there should be, right?

In order to get the ackerman angle correct, you would need different knuckles since the wheelbase lengths are different.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
The knuckles are all the same.

I have yet to see any vehicle (truck/SUV anyway) that had a proper ackerman angle. Not sure why the OEMs are always so far off on this (ATV manufacturers get it almost spot on nearly every time). :icon_confused:

Something that will affect it to some degree on the TTB however is either moving the steering linkage closer toward the axle (which changes the angles on the linkage to some degree), or moving the axle itself forward 1-1½" closer to the linkage (the latter would be easier to do via shimming the radius arm bushings forward). This causes an increase in the amount the inside wheel turns vs. the outside wheel (and will equalize it a bit better for both left & right turns, due the asymmetric linkage setup on these things).

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
I have yet to see any vehicle (truck/SUV anyway) that had a proper ackerman angle.
If they did have the proper angle, the knuckle for an extended cab Ranger would be different from a knuckle on a Bronco II. But they're the same like you said so the angle can't be right.

I guess close enough counts? :icon_confused:

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Yes, they most certainly would be different if so.

I could see them doing it as a compromise to save from having multiple part designs, but trucks of ALL wheelbases seem to be off a bit (longer ones seem closest to being correct). If I had designed it, I probably would've picked something somewhere in the middle so that at least SOME vehicles had it correct.