•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

After reading

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
After reading the tech articles and cruising the articles about swapping a 2.9 for a 4.0. Im Im almost confident that I can do thje job. I know and understand thyat if I rush things that when things get buggerd up.
My idea is to buy a donor vehicle and save all the wiring harness and what not to do this job. About the only thing that I cant find an answer for is if I decide to buy the Exploder that Ive got my eye on. Its got that push button 4 wheel drive. And my Bronco has the manual transfer case. On the good side tho there shouldn't really be a problem with the tranny because mines a standard and so is the Exploders. but getting back to the transfer case what do I do if I want to keep the manual one?? I mean Im sure the wiring harness of the Exploder is wired up for the push button and me coming in and puttin a manual one in am I going to have to do anything special?? Or even if I went witha auto?? I think with an auto Id have way more problems then I would know what to do with.
The donor vehicle that I am looking at is a 94 Exploder and my BII is an 87.

If I do buy this one Im taking everything out of it ( the front end Rear end Motor and various other things.)

Please clue this crazy Canuck in

Thanks A.W.

HndMeDnBroncoII

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
BroncoII
Engine Size
After reading the tech articles and cruising the articles about swapping a 2.9 for a 4.0. Im Im almost confident that I can do thje job. I know and understand thyat if I rush things that when things get buggerd up.
My idea is to buy a donor vehicle and save all the wiring harness and what not to do this job. About the only thing that I cant find an answer for is if I decide to buy the Exploder that Ive got my eye on. Its got that push button 4 wheel drive. And my Bronco has the manual transfer case. On the good side tho there shouldn't really be a problem with the tranny because mines a standard and so is the Exploders. but getting back to the transfer case what do I do if I want to keep the manual one?? I mean Im sure the wiring harness of the Exploder is wired up for the push button and me coming in and puttin a manual one in am I going to have to do anything special?? Or even if I went witha auto?? I think with an auto Id have way more problems then I would know what to do with.
The donor vehicle that I am looking at is a 94 Exploder and my BII is an 87.

If I do buy this one Im taking everything out of it ( the front end Rear end Motor and various other things.)

Please clue this crazy Canuck in

Thanks A.W.
i have a really good copy of mitchells wiring diagram for your truck
if you wanna drive out to pitt meadows i have good clear photo copies
of all your trucks wiring.
i would stick with your original t case it will be hard enough to get the swap done by itself
once it is running then change what ever parts you want
have you checked the new length for the drive shafts id worry about that unless youare ahving new ones made let me know if u want the digrams
and how ur swap goes
Roger

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
i would swap the tans with the 4.0 but the t-case will work just fine as is. the drive shafts should be the same length so you can use your old ones (no gaurnetee) ... good luck with the swap

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I believe one person you should PM about this would be Joel... AKA "CopyKat". He's done it and seems to know quite well the ins and outs of the swap. Having worked with him on other projects, one area he shines in (among others) is electrical. BII electrical to be more precise.

http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9135#9135

This might be a good read for you.

I hope I have been of some help!:icon_thumby:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
So both trucks are manual? your 87 B2 will have the FM145 and the Explorer will have the M5OD. Those transmissions are both different length. SHould you want to keep the manual 1350 that you have now is fine. Driveshaft changes will have to be made. I did all my swaps with the haynes and chilton electrical diagrams.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
something else to think about is the engine swap wiring needed is separate from the push button crap.so unless you want it theres no need to worry about it.

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i have a really good copy of mitchells wiring diagram for your truck
if you wanna drive out to pitt meadows i have good clear photo copies
of all your trucks wiring.
i would stick with your original t case it will be hard enough to get the swap done by itself
once it is running then change what ever parts you want
have you checked the new length for the drive shafts id worry about that unless youare ahving new ones made let me know if u want the digrams
and how ur swap goes
Roger
Wow thanks man. I think I just might do that. How do I get ahold of ya??

Arctic Wolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So??? Wich tranny is best ta keep for the swap wich one is stronger there Copy??

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
So??? Wich tranny is best ta keep for the swap wich one is stronger there Copy??
M5OD for sure. You'll want to grab the trans x-member from the explorer as it's a better design. Atleast I think so. It will have to be bolted in the rear set of holes. They should be there in the frame. The M5OD is the same length as the A4LD.