•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Aftermarket Shifter for A4LD

nd4spd71

Reaction score
I am swapping a A4LD into my B2 inplace of the 5speed. I am trying find an aftermarket cable operated shifter to use but don't seem to having much luck finding one that lists the A4LD as an application. Will one for an EOD work? What have others used? Any info would be great. Thanks.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
u might have to buy one for a c4 or aod and fab up some kind of cable, i know lokar makes some different cables u can use. i know they did that in petersons 4wd mag a while back on some rig, i dont remember what it was though

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
One problem with using one for a c-4 is that it is a three speed and the a4ld is a four speed there fore the detents on the shifter that lock it in gear will be missing a detent. Why not try one for a newer mustang and just build your own console around it?

richard89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger
Engine Size
I used a B&M truck MegaShifter setup for a 4spd. This works really well but it is a ratchet shifter

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You could always stick with a 5spd and avoid all the "fun" that comes with a4ld's lol. Are you looking to put in a floor or column shift?

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am swapping a A4LD into my B2 inplace of the 5speed. I am trying find an aftermarket cable operated shifter to use but don't seem to having much luck finding one that lists the A4LD as an application. Will one for an EOD work? What have others used? Any info would be great. Thanks.
in no way do you want to do this.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
He has his reasons. The a4ld was a weak tranny and almost any 5spd (fm145, fm146, m5od) would do better. We shgould support his choice and do what we can to help him out! This TRS!! We are here for eachother!!

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
He has his reasons. The a4ld was a weak tranny and almost any 5spd (fm145, fm146, m5od) would do better. We shgould support his choice and do what we can to help him out! This TRS!! We are here for eachother!!
fine, but i call dibs on his 5 speed and shifter.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I know that floor shifters are out there for the A4. I knew a guy who had a floor shifted A4, and I think I saw one in my local JY once, but I can't remember where it was.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
my bronco II has a floor shifted A4.

just throwing that out there.

edit: actually, you do NOT want a floor shifter for your b2, mine has about nine miles of the most cluster-**** linkage i've ever had to fight with.

Last edited:

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Art Carr, Hurst, and B&M all have shifters that work, Art Carr has a nice installation manual with pics on their website. I am putting and auto in my BII because of some knee issues. I still like to hike so I want to make everything else a little easier on myself. My Ranger is and will remain a 5-speed. But if I was you, I would look in the junkyards for a ranger or BII with a floor shifter and get all the linkage. Just a lot easier to see it there and reproduce it on your truck. I put a column from an explorer in mine. Just a simple swap, easier than most would have you to believe.

nd4spd71

Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses. For those that have asked my reasoning for wanting the auto is my wheeling experience has always been in automatic vehicles.....just more comfortable with them. I do have an auto shifter from a b2 but am missing the linkage from the shifter to the trans. And as someone mention I have seen the linkage in a b2 and it is crazy looking with frame connections etc. Just was thinking an aftermarket cable shifter would be easier to install and maintain. Good idea on the aerostar shifter, will have to check one out and see if they are simplier. Does anyone know if a shifter listed for an AOD would also work on the 4ALD?

Last edited:

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
And his b2 has a 3" BL making it that much more fun.

This is actually in my garage right now, We didn't install the A4LD or remove the 5spd we got it half installed and unforntantly missing alot of pieces to the puzzle. His b2 is also a first gen so installing a 2nd gen column or an explorer column isn't usable unless we convert the interior to a 2nd gen.

Boggin

Reaction score
i got 2 trucks with floor shift and i would WAY rather column shift, i hate that floor shit.
id say you can buy one for an aod and fab something up to make it work, with cheapthrills helping you, your truck might come out on 1-tons and swampers with a v8 or soemthing.. lol

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yes the ones for the AOD are what you are looking for. The Art Carr site does say its for a A4ld. You will still have to work at fine tuning your linkage but you will have to do that with any after-market shifter. Good luck, a good junkyard may be able to help you get a column that fits your rig with the cables and brackets too, Columns are easy to replace and no trouble to get things hooked up. Not sure what all years but Explorers are RBVs and early '90s are pretty common in most yards. I picked mine from a '91. cable, gear indicator, wheel, shaft, brackets all for under $50.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
If there is any way to do a cable shift setup, I would do that in a heartbeat over building or modifying the stock linkage, even if it means buying something. Cable shifters are just so easy to set up.

I know that floor shifters are out there for the A4. I knew a guy who had a floor shifted A4, and I think I saw one in my local JY once, but I can't remember where it was.
ALL first gen trucks with automatics are floor shifted.

BII Plow Truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I used 87-93 OEM Mustang T-handle shifter which has the 1 2 3 OD positions the A4LD requires......it's slightly angled/tilted forward due to the way it was mounted in the Mustang, but it works great!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I used 87-93 OEM Mustang T-handle shifter which has the 1 2 3 OD positions the A4LD requires......it's slightly angled/tilted forward due to the way it was mounted in the Mustang, but it works great!
vouch this is wut i did but my OD is on button so i needed shifter from a 95 or new mustang got it off ebay with cable for like 40 bucks