•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Air shocks in a b2

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Anybody put air shocks UP FRONT in a b2? I found a good deal on some air shocks and i wasn't too impressed with the flex of the 3.5" lift Eearly Bronco james duff coils that i just swapped in with my EB straight front axle. So i'm looking for something with more flex. What have you guys done with your mounting points on the EB axle witht the stock EB radius arms? Can i see pics?

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had air springs in the front of my '85 Parts rig...

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
You're probably not getting the flex because of the radius arms binding.

Extend the radius arms (or do a wristed arm on the passengerside) and you should see a significant gain in flex (additionally you could try swapping to Jeep Cherokee or Wrangler coils... Some mods to the coil mounts will be needed though)

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Yeah i think i'll do the wristed arm first and see if my stuff improves any. I know drop will increase but i'm concerned it will not stuff any more as these coils are a little stiff. What size cherokee coils do people use? They have to be lift coils cuz the stockers are tiny. I've dealt with 6 different coils in my cherokee and i think the only ones that would get me to the heighth i'm at now woud be really tall ones. Like some 8" lift units.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I have Skyjacker 6" Cherokee coils on my BII. They gave me 5" lift though I'm using the TTB axle. They are 22" free length with about a 240PPI rating (softer than most EB coils, but stiffer than say, TJ coils which are around 190PPI IIRC). You might get 6-7" lift out of them on a straight axle.

Another thing to consider... JD's coils are variable rate (they get stiffer as they compress). Using linear-rate coils will significantly improve travel on the up side.