•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

airbags and ttb

bftank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4l
has anybody run a ttb 4wd with airbags no coils? hating the ride of my stock suspension with saggy springs.

i have some airbags from a rear air ride kit for an f350 on hand.

i know xj springs and lift it for a better ride. trying not to spend money on the ttb as i am putting money into the tow rig right now. figured i could weld together some brackets to mount the airbags to the frame and beam and see how it goes.

suggestions, complications, thoughts?

it is a 94 explorer i use to take the family into the back country and the ride is getting old. i googled and searched on here and everywhere and could find anyone who had done it so i figured i would post up.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Do it! I haven't seen it yet...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Good High Quality Shocks (Bilstein's) and softer coils (early bronco, some...) will help a lot

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I wouldn't think that would be optimal if you're only after a smoother ride.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The shocks should have far more effect than the springs if you have a rough ride.

bftank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4l
sorry i wasn't very clear in my first post.

i am not against lifting it. i want to take it back to stock and a couple inches higher. the springs currently on it permit a 1/4" of up travel before hitting the bumpstops under ideal conditions creating the rough ride.

i could add a spacer to fix my problem, i was just curious as to what the general consensus was about throwing an airbag in there instead.

in reality a spacer would be quickest cheapest and easiest.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
in reality a spacer would be quickest cheapest and easiest.
And you wouldn't have alignment issues.
You can't vary ride height on TTB or TIB and keep decent camber or toe settings.

bftank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4l
just spit balling here, but this idea might have some merit.

the ride height could be resolved by running specific pressures in each of the bags when on the street.

a possible advantage to airbags in the front, is you could set a valve between the bags on the street to keep sway under control. when offroad you could open the valve to the line between the bags so that when one side is pushed up the air from that bag being squeezed, inflates the other bag, benefitting up and down travel.

of course you wouldn't want to use a big line so as to maintain some control over how the air is transferred.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Yup, I have all the parts to run a similar set-up on my rear bags... If I ever get around to 4-linking my rear...

3 valves, left fill/ dump, right fill/ dump, and the one you speak of. Simple idea, really functional.

I'm going to use 3/8" line for the whole system, except the one between the bags will be 1/4".

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
yeah....bags in the coil work great for full tuned ride allowing use of really soft springs and still be drivable on the road. for clapped out springs like you have they are ideal...really tighten up ride and handling.

this link has e350 bags in 140 xj coils and custom tag spacers....you just need a ranger kit for your application

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/1097826-ttb-crawlers-multipurpose.html

i have seen a few rangers with mark 7 bags fitted to them and no coil spring but they were on 2wd lower trucks.

bftank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4l
thanks for bringing that thread back up bobby!:icon_twisted: that is the one that started me thinking about playing with the ttb on this explorer vs. just saving up for the dana 60 to compliment a 7.3l, zf5, 1356, sterling 10.5 that will be coming out of my crewcab for a cummins swap.

that is a good idea on the e350 bags. maybe i could just through a set of those in there for right now. hmm...

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
has anybody run a ttb 4wd with airbags no coils? hating the ride of my stock suspension with saggy springs.

i have some airbags from a rear air ride kit for an f350 on hand.

i know xj springs and lift it for a better ride. trying not to spend money on the ttb as i am putting money into the tow rig right now. figured i could weld together some brackets to mount the airbags to the frame and beam and see how it goes.

suggestions, complications, thoughts?

it is a 94 explorer i use to take the family into the back country and the ride is getting old. i googled and searched on here and everywhere and could find anyone who had done it so i figured i would post up.
There's an 87-91 f150 out on the webs somewhere that has this set-up: air bags and 4x4 ttb, it will take some digging though.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I think it could be pretty cool. I know a CJ on 1 tons that's one linked and bagged is awesome lol