•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

AlaskaBII build(s)

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well,
It's finally time to start a build thread of my own. Should have started one sooner. Anyhow here are some pics of where my BIIs sit and the mods in the works and planned. Got the tan 88 for $600 and I thought that was pertty good concidering the tires/rims on it. The motor blew oil like nothing I've seen before! Pulled it and then got deployed for year. Did the rebuild while I was home on a 14 day mid-tour. Got back and got the motor in and running like a top. YEAH! Took a trest drive and the A4LD grenaded :annoyed:

That started the build up as I had the 92 Explorer I had bought for $400. So far I have the 4.0/tranny/1354/front shaft/steering column/dash in and the the axles to go in once I get the 4.0 running reliably. Still chasing why it won't start when it sits out in the cold overnight. Leave it in the garage and it starts fine. Beginning to think the in tank fuel pump is failing when it gets cold.

Here are somne pics of it in it's current state. The future for it is the axles from the Ex. I got the 8.8 axle install kit from Barnes Offrod but wish I had gotten it from Ruff Stuff as it looks the same and would have been a bit lower in cost. Though I have a line on axles from a full size Bronco that need a new home, hmmmm... decisions, decisions.... Also have a 4" lift kit that came with the truck I have a custom roof rack in mind for it too. Plan to paint it a deep green and keep the tan interior color. Really wish I had painted the engine bay when I had litterally everything out of it...

The pics of my 87 are what I call project "Bruised" It was a free truck from the mom in law. Took quite a bit to get it running well and safe to drive. Then the mod bug it and I ended up swapping out the right quarter panel to get rear tire carrier and hatch with heated glass/wiper as well. I also put in a sunroof and factory roof rack. I recently put in a D35 and that is abbout the end of the mods for it. Want to duplicate the 2 tone paint scheme but done in a deep blue and the center panel painted with running horses painted from front to back changing in color to effect a "flame" look as well.

Well enough jabbering for now. I have been, and am sure I will continued to be, inspired/instructed by all you guys/gals.

Attachments

John Smith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Good to see your projects man...

How is the weather up there this year?...Brings back memories of some years I spent in that Colder region to the north...We still have friends in Wasilla, Houston, (Used to be Miller's Market in Houston I guess they have an Ice cream place now) Willow etc...I'll be thinkin' of you and watchin' your progress...

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Man, It looks like you got alot of room in that garage. haha

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Foujd the water pump leaking Friday and spent the weekend taking the front of the motor apart, again. Gettign rather adept at using the fan wrenchss and not gettign frustrated enough to through them across my limited space garage....

John Smith
Well those pics were taken just a couple days ago so I sure ain't working on it outside! Also the pics of my 87 show the roads. This morning it's only about -10F so I guess you could say it's been a mild winter as we have not spent any amount of time yet below -45F-ish. But being from south Texas originally, brrrrrrr.

chrwilkins30
Yeah it's kinda tight, good thing I'm rather a thin guy, and I have to move stuff all the time...

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Grrrr

It never ends! :annoyed: Now the water pump went. Oh well, at least I had a new one on hand.

Don't get to work on it during the week, doing long distance college courses so it only gets love on the weekends.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
New shoes and prepping 8.8 for install!

Finally got to work on my 88. Got the stubborn axel bearings out and new ones in, axles installed and stock cover back on. 97 disk brakes with new rotors and pads mocked in place. Going to put some caliper paint on them to at least try to thwart the rust. Also started mocking up the perches for install. Hope to get them tacked tonight.

Attachments

Last edited:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Egads! I have not updated this in forever!

Will have to spend some time uploading recent pics/mods. As we all know plans/direction can change in the midst of a build and I'm no exception....