•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Anyone ever used Sea Foam?

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
How exactly did you run this seafoam stuff through your engine? Is there any negative effects? Where can it be purchased?(I live in canada)
Usually where ever you buy it, they do have flyers giving instructions on how to administer it. Usually it's through a vaccuum line going into the intake manifold. I've used it in a couple of vehicles with no ill effects. I've got one friend who's used it and he did think it helped make his car run smoother.

Try Napa, or one of your other local stores may have it. I've never seen it at Crappy Tire or Wal-Mart, so skip there.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Mazda
Engine Size
Usually where ever you buy it, they do have flyers giving instructions on how to administer it. Usually it's through a vaccuum line going into the intake manifold. I've used it in a couple of vehicles with no ill effects. I've got one friend who's used it and he did think it helped make his car run smoother.

Try Napa, or one of your other local stores may have it. I've never seen it at Crappy Tire or Wal-Mart, so skip there.
Hah, look again, WalMart has it for 6 bucks and change.

Gotta_gofast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
I purchase sea-foam from wal-mart. Save's me big time.

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I always use a can in all my vehicles every 6 months as a fuel treatment. It cleans out the EFI system. Absolutely wonderful stuff and I've highly recommend it for years. It's never disappointed.

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

I am happy with seafoam since I ran it thru my B2. Still shitty gas mileage but runs nice. I got mine from Bumper to Bumper (tell them its for a bussness) or at napa.

igiveup

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Used it in my buddy's ranger today. It was pinging pretty badly, used half the bottle in the intake (epav vacuum line), and dumped the other half in the fuel, pinging is all but gone, I'm a believer :icon_thumby:

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I ran a can through my old Ranger at about 75K miles. 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 through the brake booster. There was a lot of smoke, but I noticed absolutely no change in performance at all. All I got was one hell of a smoke show.

oldjimh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.2 diesel
hey guys a cautionary note on that Sea Foam oil additive in a dirty engine:.

As somebody else cautioned in an older thread ---It can knock loose enough stuff to clog something........

just helped my buddy troubleshoot his little 4 cyl GM Ecotec engine.
It has 135K miles. He changes oil 'occasionally', said he noticed it mighty dirty last couple changes. Soo,,,,,
Three days ago when changing oil he added Sea Foam, per directions about 1 oz per quart, to fresh synthetic oil. He put in a new Fram filter too. Yesterday he drove it here which is about a 200 mile highway trip. It started knocking when started up this morning.

We drained the oil and it was really black, not like 200 miles oughta look.. Filter (it's a cartridge type) came out filthy black and full of metal shavings and was collapsed. It's a tiny filter, looks about right for a lawnmower not a passenger car.
Looks to me like filter plugged up and starved engine for oil but idiot light never came on.

Refilled with good old Rotella T and new filter of course, sounded a lot better but still pretty bad. Sounded to me high in engine like it lost a bearing around camshaft , our other troubleshooter opined rod bearing. It's being took apart now.

Anyhow - moral of story is be careful with that stuff it can loosen up sludge and quickly plug a filter. Especially that teensy GM cartridge filter.

It's a powerful cleaner, as advertised.
I wouldn't drive with it in an engine that doesn't have an oil-pressure gage.

if i learn something every day, may know something someday

old jim

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
:icon_rofl:Haha no doubt. We should ask Jim to put a Seafoam sticky on the main page that links to all 8 brazzilion threads about it, some people get :annoyed: everytime it pops up.:dunno:

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I went to the local parts store the other day and picked up a can of Sea Foam....I put it through the engine the way the parts guy said....not through the fuel tank...He told me it would smoke like heck and spit and sputter for a few mins, but the end results would be amazing....I have to agree...maybe its my wishful thinking, but the little 2.9 ran alot better, smoother, and quieter afterwards....Has anyone else tried it?
Ive use it on alot of different engines. Form the 2.3l all the way up to the 7.5l. It works great. Ive ran in thew the crankcase and the fuel. It works really good and ill keep using it. All thou I found it to be a little cheaper at Walmart. Ive tryed the Trans tune. It seems to be good stuff too.

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
under most cases the change isnt big enough that you would notice. its enough that if your having spark knock problems, it could reduce or eliminate them.
I had that problem with my 2001 F150 5.4l. Not any more.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Does anyone know if they sell this stuff in Canada?
I wanna give it a shot, but my local Walmart and Canadian Tire both dont seem to stock it.

mojocat27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
My buddy at work swears by it. I am gonna get a can and run thru mine after I get some other more pressing issues fixed first.

TEK4x4

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
sea foam is the s*** i take and run it through the pcv valve if it has it or the break booster line for about 1/3 of the can then while its running i pour it in the intake tell it chokes it out then waits while it soaks the cylanders and then run it and finish the can either by doing it again or throwing it in the gas. also herd of people putting it in the oil and then runing it around and changing the oil. let me also say do all this once the engine is at operating temp.

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
sea foam is the s*** i take and run it through the pcv valve if it has it or the break booster line for about 1/3 of the can then while its running i pour it in the intake tell it chokes it out then waits while it soaks the cylanders and then run it and finish the can either by doing it again or throwing it in the gas. also herd of people putting it in the oil and then runing it around and changing the oil. let me also say do all this once the engine is at operating temp.
You can use it in the oil, gas and the vacuum line. Poor it in the oil (1.5oz per quart) and run it for atleast 100 miles. You can keep it in the oil till the next oil change but you wont need to keep it in there that long. The oil will turn black and really nasty while it cleans out the oil channels and flushes all the crap out of the engine. It works hella good and Ive used it alot. :headbang:

NVbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco2
Engine Size
2.8 V6
I will swear by Marvel Mystery Oil in an older motorcycle. Worked great on the slider carbs. AS for Sea Foam, looks like it would work great but one question. How does it work with F.I. and would it skrew up the computer?
BTW, I use high milage oil to keep the oil pressure up. (136000) miles on an 4.0 I6 jeep. That also works great.

ufgators68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
I ran sea foam through my truck and my wife's car last weekend. I did my truck first and felt totally ripped off... I got one freaking puff of smoke and that was it.

When I ran it through my wife's Protege, it smoked like a house fire. I got my money's worth out of that can.:icon_rofl:

Both vehicles idle better now and seem to have a little more response. They are definitely more quiet, while driving, than they used to be.

I only did the brake booster/gas tank treatment. I didn't put any in the oil.

BII Plow Truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Been using SeaFoam for 20 years now as a preventative measure, and for storage....it's awesome.