•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Anyone want to build me a 2.9 to 4.0 wiring harness?

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am going to be swapping in a 4.0 into my Bronco II. I can do wiring, but it would be nice if someone wanted to build me one for a price of course.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Why not just get the harness off the 4.0?

Yours is an '89, should be pretty easy.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
once you get EVTM's for the donor and your truck its easy to tell the where's and what's.
all i needed to do was use a pick to get the multi connector at the firewall apart and then rearrange the donor harness pins to match the dash harness.

look through the ton of swap threads for year model info and the stuff you need

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
On my 1st gen, I didn't cut up any of my B2 harness or 4.0 harness, I simply took the 2.9 harness and the donor rig power distribution harness and cut and spliced them together to plug the 4.0 harness into my b2 harness, total time spent on wiring was maybe 8 hours, I used a chiltons book for the 4.0 and a haynes for the B2 wiring, the chiltons diagrams were far superior.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
On my 1st gen, I didn't cut up any of my B2 harness or 4.0 harness, I simply took the 2.9 harness and the donor rig power distribution harness and cut and spliced them together to plug the 4.0 harness into my b2 harness, total time spent on wiring was maybe 8 hours, I used a chiltons book for the 4.0 and a haynes for the B2 wiring, the chiltons diagrams were far superior.
I am not sure I follow you, can you elaborate a bit more on that?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
On my 1st gen, I didn't cut up any,.....

I simply cut and spliced
so which was it, lol?

he chopped the 4.0l pass side cpu harness into the drivers side headlight harness.you might do that because your b2 has a different headlight harness.

rather than unbundle a bunch of stuff i just used all three 4.0 engine bay harnesses and moved pins around at the firewall

cschaffersr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford ranger
Engine Size
how difficult is this engine swap does auto trans. bolt up to 2.9 from 4.0?

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 to 2.9, 2.9 to 4.0, all the tranny's will interchange :D

rather than unbundle a bunch of stuff i just used all three 4.0 engine bay harnesses and moved pins around at the firewall

That's what I've done twice. No cutting and splicing needed(ok, maybe 1 or 2)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
4.0 to 2.9, 2.9 to 4.0, all the tranny's will interchange :D
For rather liberal definitions of "interchange."

The bolt patterns front and rear are the same. The lengths aren't always (depends on model year). The shifters are different. The transfer case shifters are different. The "hump plate" is different. The slave cylinders are different. The STARTERS are different. The clutches are different. And so on.

And anyone who uses a Mitsubishi or TK transmission on a 4.0L deserves what they get....

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
And anyone who uses a Mitsubishi or TK transmission on a 4.0L deserves what they get....
Or even a FM for that matter. The M50D is the ONLY manual that should be considered a factory choice behind a 4.0.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, I'm sorry, I'll elaborate next time. Goodness

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Well, there's 2 harnesses, the engine harness and body harness (Power distribution harness on 2nd Gen+), I only replaced the engine harness on my rig and plugged the 4.0 into it's harness, then the engine harness must be spliced into the body harness, so what I did was take the sploder power distrubution harness and old 2.9 harness so I had all the connectors I needed to hook the 2 together by splicing the connectors into eachother. Basically made adaptors.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, there's 2 harnesses, the engine harness and body harness (Power distribution harness on 2nd Gen+), I only replaced the engine harness on my rig and plugged the 4.0 into it's harness, then the engine harness must be spliced into the body harness, so what I did was take the sploder power distrubution harness and old 2.9 harness so I had all the connectors I needed to hook the 2 together by splicing the connectors into eachother. Basically made adaptors.
Ah, makes sense now.

I read in the tech library that if you take the small ignition wires off the stock starter relay and splice them into the 60A ignition fuse in the 4.0's power distribution box, you will be fine; it is from this tech entry in the library:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4L_Conversion2.htm
Electrical Connections:

This is thought to be the most difficult, but actually it isn't.

Retain your original starter solenoid. Locate the power distribution box in the 4.0 harness and bolt it to the battery side of your starter solenoid. It has a short cable, so this should be done first. remove the connections that your original vehicle has there, if any. Now it is time to start soldering. Your new Power Distribution box has a provision for an ignition switch. cut off the ring terminals from the wires that were connected to the battery side of the solenoid and solder them onto that. It has a 60 amp fuse on the circuit which is plenty.

Locate your original ECM and remove it, and the harness that went with it. Run the 4.0 harness in through the hole in the firewall and hook up the ECM to it. Go through and plug in all the connectors that you removed in the process, and put it back together the way it was, so basically what you will have under the hood is a complete 4.0 system as it was in your donor vehicle, and I will guide you through integrating this newer system to the controls of your older one.

First, we will do the starter. Locate the starting/ignition diagram in your repair manuals for each vehicle, and splice the appropriate wires together over on the firewall on the driver's side. In my case, it was a Red/Blue wire going to a Pink wire in the 4.0 harness. Then take that over to your solenoid to the "S" terminal. Then you will need to take some light gauge wire from the "I" terminal and run it down to the heavy duty starter cable. Connect that wire to the solenoid that is on the starter itself, and connect the heavy duty cable in the obvious place. At this point, you should have power to crank your vehicle over from your ignition switch.

Now we will supply fuel and power to the engine so it can start. Start with the Fuel Pump.

The #1 fuse in the power distribution box is a 30 amp fuse for the fuel pump. There is a connection in the 4.0 harness that runs all the way back to the fuel pump, and the inertia switch comes in the cab where the computer and blower motor wires do. Connect the inertia switch, and mount it anywhere up under the dash there, being sure the red button is facing up. Run the wires back on your frame rail back to the fuel pump connector, and connect the other end to the appropriate connector near the firewall on the Driver's side. Now locate a red/green wire in both harnesses here. Solder those together and this powers everything in the 4.0 harness. After connecting all appropriate connectors, and GROUNDS, DON'T FORGET GROUNDS, Turn your key to the on position. If you hear the fuel pump engage in the tank, you should be able to turn your key and start the engine, because the ECM power relay turns on the fuel pump relay and the power to your Distributorless ignition.

Next we will connect your alternator. The field terminal on the alternator runs to your power distribution box, and the power cable connects to the battery side of your starter solenoid.

Your oil Pressure and Temperature gauges will connect and work with the 4.0 sending units. Connect them on the firewall on the driver's side.

Your ECM requires an input from your brake light switch in order to control the transmission properly. It connects to Pin 2 which is a light green wire. Locate the side of your brake switch that DOES NOT have constant power and tap onto it with this wire. (this will alert your transmission to disengage the TCC Lockup and also come out of overdrive).

The Fuel Gauge will work if you used the proper OHM range sending unit, otherwise you will need to install an aftermarket one, which is what I did. This will get you running and on the road.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Here's a few pictures to help explain

OK here's a body connection that must be connected to the engine.

Here's the engine connection that corresponds to to wires in the body connection.

So here's the 2 connectors removed from the 2.9 and explorer harness to create an adapter.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So those 2 connectors have to be put together? If that is the case, I have an extra engine wiring harness for a 2.9 and I could make some sort of plug to go between.

Where did you put your PCM?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Stock location, with the engine removed, I pulled the HVAC box out and pulled the old harness out and installed the 4.0 harness and computer.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
sweet. Other than those 2 plugs, was there any other cutting and splicing? What did you do with the 2.9 "hot in run" wires that were on the starter solenoid?

Was I correct on those 2 plugs getting put together? It looks like one has more wires on it than the other.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
I couldn't tell you what wires are what now, I just now after going over the schematics they weren't needed (for me at least), a lot of dash and cruise control crap I think. Yes those 2 plugs were mated together using the old harness's plugs spliced together. For the starter I just took the whole starter and wires and simply hooked them up to existing solenoid. I'd say there were 5 or 6 plugs needed on the B2 and engine that needed to be hooked together. For the EEC and fuel pump relays and fuses I got a bit creative and used a section of the power distribution box, and wired that all up, I think what I'm going to do is grab a whole new box off of another parts sploder I have and redo it since it's kinda cheesy right now.