•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Are carb motors ok for rock climbing?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Just curious I have heard that carb motors are not good for rock climbing. I have been told the issue is when the motor is tilted on extreme levels. I was just curious if anyone here has a carb motor that they have had at extreme angles. The reason I am asking is because I am looking at donor vehicles for my b2 and early 80 model fords are at the top of my list so far. If I used the axles out of an f150 then I would likely try and swap the motors and trans out. I will be running probably 37+" tires so I would like to have the bigger axles, t-case, trans, motor, etc to turn the tires. Just curious the thoughts on a carb motor. I prefer EFI motors because they are more fuel efficient and etc but carb motors are simpler and require less wiring etc.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
As long as you dont set the float level too high they do just fine. There is a spring for motorcraft/autolite carbs that keeps the float from flopping up and down kinna like a damper spring and takes less fuel to push the float up especially going up a steep slope. If the venturi booster drop below the fuel level in the bowl it just siphons instead of being pulled out of the bowl.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I have a few friends that still run carburetors in their offroad rigs. Some work well, others do not.

My advice: if you feel like dinking around with stuff constantly, by all means, run a carburetor.

Fuel injection is incredibly simple but people see this big ol' mess of wires and get scared. It is very simple and you CAN figure it out, but if you have have managed to convince yourself that you can't, then at least consider a propane setup. Or live with an engine that runs poorly at steep angles.

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just go with a EFI setup its alot easier to not stall on you. Plus with carbs you'll be tuning it alot more

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
They make off-road carburators all day every day....

Open up any Summit, Jegs or other auto catalog that sells carbs. There will be an entire section dedicated to carbs made for exactly what you want.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
EFI is in every way superior to carb. Also, if you are looking at early 80s F-150s for the axles, the F-150 used the same axles from about 82 or 83 through 96.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
They make off-road carburators all day every day....

Open up any Summit, Jegs or other auto catalog that sells carbs. There will be an entire section dedicated to carbs made for exactly what you want.
This is true, Holley Truck Avengers and the good ol' Motorcraft 2100's are commonly used offroad.

That said, they're still carburetors based on mechanical floats...not completely immune to steep angles. EFI and propane are still FAR superior if you have the patience to install it.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you are starting with a carbed motor propane is a good way to achieve what you want. Turning a carbed motor to efi can be done but is slightly more technical. Also as mentioned there are a wide variety of offroad carbs.

Personally I have seen propane in action and once you get it dialed in it works great. The fuel isn't as efficient as gasoline however its a very clean and a complete burn. Most propane rigs don't have cats and do yearly oil changes because it is such a clean burning fuel.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic