•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Are parts interchangable between 88 and 89 BRII?

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It may seem to be a silly question as well as far fetched but I would like to know if parts from a 89 BRII can be used on a 88 BRII. 89 was a Eddie Bauer and the 88 I am looking at I know is not a Eddie Bauer though I am not sure if it is a XLT.

89 was totaled in a wreck and I am looking at a 88 as a replacement since I cannot find another decent 89 EB anywhere. Waiting on some pics from person with the 88.

Was thinking I might buy the 89 back at salvage price if not too much money. Just spent $1600 on it and the interior was near mint. I know the interiors do not match the 88 I am looking at but was thinking I could part that out and get tires/rims off it for new car. Maybe use the gas tank off the totaled 89 to put on the 86 sitting in my driveway?

I am kind of lost and would appreciate any advice or guidance from any/all.

Thanks and a safe weekend to everyone.

PonyUp

11/04... I have a Updated question on page 2 as I just bought a 1990 BRII and had a rebuilt engine put in. Thanks for any help with the question !

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Everything is interchangeable...

SVT

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
SVT...Thank You!

I have been distressed thinking I maybe should just let the 89 go. But it was so nice. I had just finished doing everything to it to bring it back to excellent working condition. Old age thing with rubber parts and misc. Engine/tranny were great as they only had 150,000 miles on them and I changed fluids/filters faithfully.

Would seats and plastic off the 89 work in a 86 EB? That one was not as nice on inside.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Yeah the parts should easily interchange. From what I've dug up there weren't any serious changes between any of the Bronco 2's they stayed relatively the same, just simple design changes and cosmetics but all the parts were the same size I believe for body and interior. Engines, transmissions, axles, etc were really the only major changes.

Someone with some better parts knowledge correct me if I'm wrong.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
In 89 ford redesigned the ranger and B2. They now had composite headlights, and in the interior they received a different dash. These are all cosmetic changes as the shell remained unchanged. You can remove the 89 dash (the start of the second generation, dubbed gen 2) and install it in the 83-88 ranger /B2 (gen 1. The seats are a direct bolt in swap, the seat tracks are the same. To install a different seat, you will need to remove the seat tracks from that seat and install your tracks on the replacement seat, just in case you were wondering...

SVT

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Still looking..

Thanks!! to all who responded. Every little bit is larger than you know.

Great about seats/dash swap.

I am now looking at a 86 as well as a 88. Rather have a 89 but I want one in great condition/low mileage. (yeah...needle in a haystack deal) Lots of red interior BRII out there but think I will stick to a more subdued color.

So..If I buy the wrecked 89 back I will be most interested in knowing more about the dash swap to the 86 I already have.

A happy and safe day to all.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
The gen 1 to gen 2 swap is pretty straight forward, dash, dash harness and HVAC box all needs to be swapped...

SVT

87steelhorseII

Reaction score
Under the Carolina Moon and Palmetto Tree (SC)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
94 Explorer dash for 87 Bronco II

I read a couple of post indicating the Explorer dash would fit in the B2, but I cant seem to put my hand on the post now. I dont recall any specifics on what year dash (Exp/Ranger) would match up with the B2. Anyway, I removed a 94 dash today for the 87 B2 and realized once I got home that the wiring harness that goes through the firewall does not match up. What year Exp or Ranger would I need to get for an exact match, 91-93? Planning to make a return trip to the salvage yard in the a.m. so any help tonight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Gen 3 rangers (93-94) are kind of a bastard year, even though they share the same dash, the wiring is different. The gen 1 explorer (91-94) should be interchangeable, I've heard the 94 year had some extra circuits that were not available in the gen 2 ranger, but I can't confirm that through experience, I mostly deal with gen4+...

SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Yes, the heater box fan and resistor have different mounts and connectors...

SVT

87steelhorseII

Reaction score
Under the Carolina Moon and Palmetto Tree (SC)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
So here is my dilemma. The 89 and up all have the large wiring harness plug connected to the firewall while my 87 has the wiring harness pass through the firewall with a rubber boot around it. Since I dont have a plug and play option here, how difficult will it be to try and connect everything to this plug? There definately is not the same amount of wires. Kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place here since I dont have much options for replacing the original dash pad.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Are the rubber boot style opening and the plug style opening the same? I've always been told they swap over...

SVT

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Meanwhile back at the ranch :)

Cool this thread is sharing so much info about interchanging parts. I hope the dash swap works out for you. :icon_thumby:

Meanwhile back on my ranch. ... :sad:

My 89 EB is totaled but I am going to buy it back at salvage. I thought I had my heart set on a very nice 88 EB (138,000 miles/2 owners) as replacement. Alas...I have now come across a very nice 90 EB (168,000 miles/3 owners) which is same color as my RIP 89.

My question is will any parts from my RIP 89 be able to be used on the 90? I saw somewhere it was mentioned the 90 came with a longer wheel base? Does this mean engine/tranny/ windows/etc will not be interchangeable?

Oh...one more thing please. The 90 was originally bought from a Ford dealer in CA. Does this mean it has the CA. smog stuff on it and will I run into issues replacing parts if it goes bad?

Okay. ONE more please. Do any of you know anyone or a Co. in *LA, Ca.* area who I can hire to look at the 1990 BRII?

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your "love" so to speak.

Last edited:

Slammin Sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
89 and 90 Bronco IIs are essentially the same. No wheelbase change. IIRC in Feb 90 they went to a different front axle.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks to all who responded to my question about the parts working on other BRII.

I went to CA. to buy a 1990 EB BRII. Unfortunately after looking at the oil cap and tasting the spot of condensation on it...Yeap. It was sweet. It had a cracked head. Took it to a Mechanic to verify and then made a price deal with the owner who truly was unaware of the issue.

Mechanic is putting a rebuild in it and I am going to fly back out this weekend to drive it back to Texas.

My NEW question is >>

What should I look for on a rebuild and what should I do to break engine in before the long trip home? I was thinking about driving around the area of the shop for a day. Then I am planning on only driving 6 1/2 hours per day at 60 MPH. Would that be okay?

Also...I am not sure I like the running boards. I have long legs and don't need to step up into BRII. If I took them off...am I going to have holes in the body of my BRII?

Last edited: