•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Automatic to manual t-case wiring

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Several years ago, when I put my Bronco II together (1986), I removed the automatic hubs/transfer case set up and put in all manual. I never did mess with the wiring, so I do not have a dash light telling me when I am in 4x4 mode...not that I need an idiot light telling me what my truck is doing. I would, however, like the light to work.

Does anyone have any pertinent info that can help me get the light working? I kept all of the connectors, etc from the donor truck, I just need to know if there is any easy way to get the light to work. Any advice before I dig in and start tracking down wires, connectors, etc??

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The current truck is/was an Eddie Bauer, the donor was an xlt

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
when i did this in my 88 the wiring was acutually there.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have done this swap and my lights don't work either. I have not looked into it too closely though. I know the history of my donor case and I know the switch for the 4x4 lights has been finicky at best.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
On the transfer case, where the speedo cable enters, what is the wire that is immediately to the left (front) of the cable?

I currently have the old automatic t-case wire/plug hanging down and have traced continuity from there to a loose plug I left under the carpet by the shifter ( I think it is the group of wires that used to run up to the "push-button" console on the ceiling). Does this wire "group" have anything to do with the dash light?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
There is wiring for a speed sensor right there if yo had push-button 4x4 or cruise control. Because standard in 87.

FWIW, as far as I can tell from the limited wiring diagrams I've been able to find of the system, to make the lights in the cluster work all you have to do is put in bulbs. It also looks like the lights on the buttons should still come on. But the diagrams are crap.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
when i did the swap, i plugged everything back in and there's actually lights on the dash that light up now, that never lit up when i had the electric t-case. everything connected except for the plug that went to the old shift motor. mine is an eddie bauer as well

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
^Mine was the same. My electric tcase never even had a plug on it for the wiring so the dash would light up "4x4".

OP: My wire was just hanging up by frame

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cool. I will check it out a little closer and see what I can accomplish. I had replaced all the dash console bulbs wasn't sure if I needed to do anything special under the dashboard or not.

Thanks for the info.