•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

axle truss?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Would you mind posting a pic of your front cover? maybe I can get some brain juices flowing on that idea....

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thanks 59 bisquick, I appreciate it. Nice chin gaurde. I can see that would be fairly easy to reproduce. Probably the hardest part there, would be the mounting plate that bolts on over the cover. If I use the cover itself as a template, I should be able to make it fairly easily. I'll give that some thought. I was thinking about making a gaurde that bolts to the bottom holes on the cover, but has a "v" shaped brace that wraps up over the cover and bolts to the truss. Still toying about that idea...

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
welding the tubes in your back yard can do little to no good at all. welding mild-steel tubes to a cast-iron housing requires the proper use of pre-heating in the right spots or else it just makes the weld (and the surrounding metal) more brittle than it even was to begin with. i wish i had a dollar for every mustang guy around here who just blasted a bead around his 8.8 tubes. just to tear the diff apart right there before even hitting the 60-foot line at the drag-strip
lol nice touch on neg repping me because you didnt like my comment about what i said.

ive welded up atleast 40-50 8.8's under mustangs, some under 1Khp cars and never had a problem. the center sections are CAST STEEL which means you can weld to them but i guess you know more then everybody else on the internet.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Damn Slo-Vo!! Thats nice! :icon_thumby::icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ok, so here is my bolt on 8.8 diff gaurd. I used what I had laying around, so it isn't pretty, but I think will work for awhile. I cut and used a 8" ID pipe with 3/8 wall thickness.
Originally I made a couple of horrizontal cuts (not all the way through) to allow the 5" wide strip to flex out so it would span the diff cover hump. When I welded those cuts up afterwards, I failed to clamp the whole thing down, and after adding the side support "hoop" as well, it warped. Soo....... I had to cut it all the way through one of the horizontal welds I just did, flexed it down, (this time bolt it in place) and did short one inch welds (letting it cool in between welds) using a piece of steel as a filler in the new gap. It's strong, but not as clean looking as I planned. sigh.

Attachments

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
OK, done deal. Here is the finished and installed 8.8. Also the connector I made for the park brake lines, using the Explorer 8.8 brake lines.

You can see I used all threads and welded e-brake line connectors to them. This allows me to adjust each line individaully. I also welded brackets on the frame supports to hold the P brake lines. I found that after installing and hooking everything up, that the parking brakes themselves were way out of adjustment, so I had to dial them in, like any other drum brake, with the little adjustment wheel in the drum.

Attachments