•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

axle truss?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
damn, you spent $350 to get a camera repaired???? why not just buy a new one? unless it was a fancy digital SLR or something

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
No, I spent $350 on the camera, then sent it in for repairs twice.:bawling: I am (sometimes) a full time sculptor, (stone, cast stone, bronze, ect.) and needed it for my work.

OK, so here is the basic mock-up, I just kinda set the rough pieces in place to see if It's what I want, ect. You can see at the point where the square tubing sits on the axle tube I have a half tube "plate" ( I piece of pipe cut in half, whose ID is 3 1/2"). It will be connected with square tubing, not left as is. I also think I may put a "brace" of 1/4" x 1 1/2" at about the axle tube joint up to the square tubing.

Attachments

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
nice, looks good

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks like a good start! :icon_welder:

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ok, so here is the whole truss fully welded and sitting in place, with a couple of detail shots of the forward brace and mount. I still have a hole to drill, then I will bolt the forward brace to the pinion support, and tac the bolts so no chance of them coming loose. Then weld the tube support plates, and it's ready for rattle canning.

Attachments

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Good job! That will work!

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
OK. All that is done. The finished product looks the same, but simi-gloss black. I'll show that soon. What have you guys done about remounting the brake lines? The brackets are now exactly backwards, and I'm thinking I need to make an extension bar, downwards to stay with existing stuff. Any ideas?

FrankBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nutty Cool!
Looks like I'll have to see you for help om my rig.

FrankBoss

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just bent up all new brake lines and used the Bronco center flex line to the body.

What are you talking about with brackets that are upside down??

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
My 8.8 has disk brakes, and the flex lines coming off of each caliper mount to the spring perches, with the main flex line coming from the driver side perch.. Now that I flipped them, the flex lines don't mount without conflicting with the leaf springs. I decided I'm going to the local pull-a-part to get a flex line from another 8.8 passenger side caliper. Then I can use the BII steel lines that have the main flex line coming from the center. (like you have 59bisquick)
FrankBoss, sure, I'd be happy to help as I can, what are you doing?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
59bisquick, is that a spare driveshaft mounted next to the frame in this last pic?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You just reminded me of what I did, I had a spare passenger side line and then fabbed everything up so I could use the center brake line.

And yes...good eye, that is a spare rear driveshaft. My rig carries a ton of driveline spares. An entire front and rear axle shaft set, u-joints for axles and drive shafts, hubs, rear driveshaft and some other misc stuff.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
59 busiquick. Cool, sounds like you're well prepared. I'm working in that direction, but have a ways to go, still. Working with 0 budget is tricky...
I just got back from the Pull-a-part yard, and found the passenger side flex hose I need, and another steel line with centered main flexline, from an EXP. Guess I'll get out there and start fabbing that stuff to fit, cost $13 all together. Hopefully thats all I need to get it ready to bolt up. I still need to weld on the shock mounts, but that'll happen when I can put them in place and get the right angles. I'll have to see about the E-brake lines, as wellI have the originals to the Exp that the 8.8 came from, DK if they'll work, yet.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I originally used the exp parking brakes. I that to splice them under the cab with some cable clamps and make a few brackets. I eventually took them off and added a line lock since when I flexed it out, the rear parking brake cable on the drivers side would pull tight and not let it droop far enough.

Some of the trails I have been on...a full set of driveline spares is a must!

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
OK. All that is done. The finished product looks the same, but simi-gloss black. I'll show that soon. What have you guys done about remounting the brake lines? The brackets are now exactly backwards, and I'm thinking I need to make an extension bar, downwards to stay with existing stuff. Any ideas?
That's what I did on mine, worked out fine. I used pieces of 3/4" x 1/8" steel strip, about an inch or so long.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
OK. Finished rattle can product. I used self etching primer, and simi-gloss black. ( it willl get pretty dirty, so color isn't really an issue to me). Here is front view, rear view, and a detail of the driver side flexline attachment.

1. On driver side I used a late model 8.8 disk brake flex line (From passenger side)
2.In center, I used a late model EXP 8.8 center main flexline, and related (modified/shortened) steel lines.
2. On passenger side, I used the original flex line, but re-shaped the bracket into an "L" shape so it would rebolt and hang below spring mount.

Remember, I still have not welded the shock mounts. (to be done when installed into my BII, to make sure shock mount angles are correct)

Attachments

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks good! Now how about some diff protection? That stock cover doesnt do well when bumping into stuff.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Oh, yeah, actually I was toying with a design for a bolt-on diff cover gaurd. I'm still unsure about the details. Temporarily, I may leave it as is, in favor of some other things I need/ want to get done. One way or another, I'll have to build my own, since $$$$ is tight. Got some ideas?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a BDS diff protector on my front diff that could easily be duplicated. The rear is a Ruff Stuff cover that is literally bomb proof. While it is much tougher that the rock guard on the front, the front one is effective and was free at the time and the Ruff Stuff was around 100 dollars out of my pocket.