•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

B2 Spare Tire Carrier Rattles

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
MY 86 B2 Spare tire carrier rattles like hell and its annoying! I have replaced the rubber bumper in the cradle and the plastic piece that wrap around the carrier that rests in the cradle (all NOS) It seems like its coming from where the release bar rests on top.. I have tried wrapping the frame where the release bar rests with cardboard wrapped with electrical tape, and it helps SOME. Does someone know of a GOOD fix? Or is this a common issue?

Thanks!
Chaz

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mine does the same thing, but my gate doesn't close right because of damage on the quarter panel. I just figured it was because the gate doesn't close all the way.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have new posts w/ bushings on my tailgate, so mine closes smoothly.

Chaz
No, my problem is that the previous owner went into a guard rail with it, so the quarter panel is pushed partway into what should be the lift gate opening. It lets the driver's side grab the first stage latch, but not the second.

AledoGYoung

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Add some extra rubber to the tire rack where it closes and the bar sits against the piece of rubber so it will take up some of the slack. Mine only rattles or squeaks when I hit big bumps.

wadus

Reaction score
Add some extra rubber to the tire rack where it closes and the bar sits against the piece of rubber so it will take up some of the slack. Mine only rattles or squeaks when I hit big bumps.
This.
I cut up an old radiator hose and used that. I also put some where the center hole in the wheel sits. That helped a lot and keeps the tire from bouncing so much too.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Whats stange is... I don't remember the tire carriers doing that when these were new. My grandfather had a 1984,1985,1986,1988,1990 and to this day I don't remember them Squeeking when they were new..

Chaz