•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Battery light on

Shadow Convoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/1996/1988/
I have an 88 Bronco II XLT. A Sunday night, driving with headlights I noticed that my battery/alternator light was coming on intermittently. Monday all seemed fine. However on Tuesday morning my battery completely drained. I yanked the battery and took it up to the local auto zone and they charged and tested it and the battery tested fine. I re-installed the battery hoping maybe I had left that pesky rear interior light on but I hadn't (I pulled the bulb on the main interior light because you apparently cant turn it completely off. I think it was a 70's-80's thing.). So i take it for a test drive now the battery light comes on steady while driving and is off while at idle. Which seems back wards. I take up to auto zone for them to check the alternator then conveniently it starts doing the opposite. It showed 12 volts at idle and 13v when i revved the engine and the light stayed off! The I drove home and it started doing it again, light on while driving and off at idle. Today I drove it to work and took off the cable just in case. Anyone else encounter this? Can a bad alternator drain your battery?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Well bad alternator will often leave you stuck because your battery isn't getting charged and you only find out when you try to restart.

I believe if the regulator fails in one it can back drain but not certain.

If your alternator is going bad, it can damage your battery getting it sorted out is good or you end up replacing both...or worse, change alternator eventually and then have a bad battery turn around and damage the new alternator.

Given the odd symptom you described, what condition is the belt? I've had a belt get dry/stretched so it wasn't particularly tight and didn't grip the pulleys well. At idle it was turning fine but at higher RPMs the belt started slipping and alternator slowed down and then as RPMs got lower it grabbed again.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Have a meter?

Check the voltage of the battery. A fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts.

Check the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running and make sure it's at least 13.6 - 14.6 volts.

However, it sounds like you have an under voltage problem. How much does the voltage drop if you turn on your headlights, and put the heater fan motor on high?

My guess would be a bad ground at the alternator, or voltage regulator (some ground when bolted to inner fender, and some voltage regulators have a ground wire going from a bolt hole in the regulator to the inner fender when mounted on the plastic inner wheel well.). If not a bad ground, then it could be your voltage regulator.

Here's some more information:

There are many possible ways in which the charging system can malfunction. Often the source of a problem is difficult to diagnose, requiring special equipment and a good deal of experience. This is usually not the case, however, where the charging system fails completely and causes the dashboard warning light to come on or the battery to become dead. To troubleshoot a complete system failure only two pieces of equipment are needed: a test light, to determine that current is reaching a certain point; and a current indicator (ammeter), to determine the direction of the current flow and its measurement in amps.

This test works under three assumptions:

The battery is known to be good and fully charged.
The alternator belt is in good condition and adjusted to the proper tension.
All connections in the system are clean and tight.
NOTE: In order for the current indicator to give a valid reading, the vehicle must be equipped with battery cables which are of the same gauge and quality as original equipment battery cables.

Turn off all electrical components on the vehicle. Make sure the vehicle's doors are closed. If the vehicle is equipped with a clock, disconnect the clock by removing the lead wire from the rear of the clock. Disconnect the positive battery cable from the battery and connect the ground wire on a test light to the disconnected positive battery cable. Touch the probe end of the test light to the positive battery post. The test light should not light. If the light does light, there is a short or open circuit.

Disconnect the voltage regulator wiring harness connector at the voltage regulator. Turn ON the ignition key. Connect the wire on a test light to a good ground (engine bolt). Touch the probe end of a test light to the ignition wire connector in the voltage regulator wiring connector. This wire corresponds to the I terminal on the regulator. If the test light goes on, the charging system warning light circuit is complete. If the test light does not come on and the warning light on the instrument panel is on, either the resistor wire, which is parallel with the warning light, or the wiring to the voltage regulator, is defective. If the test light does not come on and the warning light is not on, either the bulb is defective or the power supply wire from the battery through the ignition switch to the bulb has an open circuit. Connect the wiring harness to the regulator.

Examine the fuse link wire at the wiring harness from the starter relay to the alternator. If the insulation on the wire is cracked or split, the fuse link may be melted. Connect a test light to the fuse link by attaching the ground wire on the test light to an engine bolt and touching the probe end of the light to the bottom of the fuse link wire where it splices into the alternator output wire. If the bulb in the test light does not light, the fuse link is melted.

Start the engine and place a current indicator on the positive battery cable. Turn off all electrical accessories and make sure the doors are closed. If the charging system is working properly, the gauge will show a draw of less than 5 amps. If the system is not working properly, the gauge will show a draw of more than 5 amps. A charge moves the needle toward the battery, a draw moves the needle away from the battery. Turn the engine off.
Disconnect the wiring harness from the voltage regulator at the regulator connector. Connect a male (solderless) connector to each end of a jumper wire. Insert one end of the wire into the wiring harness connector which corresponds to the A terminal on the regulator. Insert the other end of the wire into the wiring harness connector which corresponds to the F terminal on the regulator. Position the connector with the jumper wire installed so that it cannot contact any metal surface under the hood. Position a current indicator gauge on the positive battery cable. Have an assistant start the engine. Observe the reading on the current indicator. Have your assistant slowly raise the speed of the engine to about 2,000 rpm or until the current indicator needle stops moving, whichever comes first. Do not run the engine for more than a short period of time in this condition. If the wiring harness connector or jumper wire becomes excessively hot during this test, turn off the engine and check for a grounded wire in the regulator wiring harness. If the current indicator shows a charge of about three amps less than the output of the alternator, the alternator is working properly. If the previous tests showed a draw, the voltage regulator is defective. If the gauge does not show the proper charging rate, the alternator is defective.

Shadow Convoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/1996/1988/
Thanks all! I took it to the local alternator and starter shop. Turns out it was over charging! At idle it was charging normally at around 13 volts (normal) but when i accelerate it was going up to around 16 volts. That was why the light was coming on. He advised me that until I got it fixed that i should drive with the headlights and any other electrical equipment on like the A/C to keep the voltage down as a temporary method because over charging the battery can damage or burst the battery. However, even with all that stuff turned on the light still came on.
They offered me a rebuilt alternator for $49 plus $10 for the lower plug. He said on these type alternators he always recommends replacing the lower plug because Ford says it should be replaced along with the alternator, having something to do with the prongs in the plug after you unplug it that can cause arcing in between the prongs causing electrical problems. They charge $35 to install. Honestly I can do it myself but I just don't have the time, since they are 3 blocks from my job they can knock it out in an hour and have it ready by lunch time. It's been raining and thunder storming off and on all week and is supposed to all the way up till next Tuesday! I don't have a garage so I'll consider it...

Last edited: