•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bigger radiator.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
im looking to upgrade the radiator in my 88 B2, currently it just has the single core which i belive is really the problem to my cooling issues. I noticed its not as simple as the one in my 84 that just drops into some brackets and clamps in.. rather it has built in brackets/tabs on the radiator itself. Did B2's come factory with bigger than this single core? If so, ill go hit up the j-yard.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
one out of an explorer with a 4.0 should fit

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
thanks guys. Ill go find/get one tomorrow.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Just remember that a bigger rad is not always a solution. The bigger the rad the more fuild you need to cool.

My 4.0L stays cooler with a single core rad than it does with the thicker Explorer dual core.

Not all single core rads are the same. I have found that some are thinner than others.

What I would be looking at if your having overheat issues is the thermostat and looking at your fan and clutch. Do you have a fan shroud?

Might want to look into a Taurus 3.8L e-fan. I have one, and I think it might solve some of your conserns, as it did mine.

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Vehicle
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
CopyKat is correct about the radiator and the clutch fan.
My 86 B2 came with a brass 2 core radiator, I don't know why it had brass.
A friend had an 87 B2 with a single core aluminum radiator and couldn't keep it cool in the spring and fall, let alone the 90+ summer days. He did a lot of looking and found a two core and a 10 bladed clutch fan from an Explorer. His problem was solved.
I'm not saying this will solve your problem. He also lost a couple tenths of a mile per gallon, which equates to a loss of HP.
In the day when we didn't have computer engine management, an engine running hot meant the timing was out of whack or possibly some part of the cooling system was plugged.
The other problem, heaven forbid was a cracked water jacket.
The later is possible on a 2.9, cracked head, but you would be loosing coolant with that problem.
Where I live a 4 core aluminum radiator from a ASY will run about $65, I don't believe you need one, but pulling more air with either a 10 blade clutch fan or an electric from a Taurus will probably be a lot cheaper and more of a problem solver. Pay attention to the above statement about the 10 blade fan and the power loss.

Ray

Mosinman76254

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1995
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 and 4.0
In the day when we didn't have computer engine management, an engine running hot meant the timing was out of whack or possibly some part of the cooling system was plugged.
Ahh, the good ol' days, Amen to that Clem.