•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bII not kick down at idle

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
just like it says it wont kick down at all until put into gear it boggs out once warmed up. what could cause this ??????

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It shouldn't "kick down" at idle. "Kick down" is when the auto trans downshifts when you punch the throttle.

If you mean it stays at fast idle I would clean the IAC and IAT sensor first.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i replaced the iac and just cleaned it before last start up. dont mean to sound dumb but what is a iat whatever it is im sure is my whole issue whith it no running long at all and long restart time (til cools down).

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
IAT is the intake air temp sensor. It screws into the passenger side of the intake.

Have you checked spark after a stall-out?

Have you reset the memory by unhooking the battery?

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
ok duh lol yes memory gets flashed quite regular. no i didnt check for spark i was thinking about that today . i do know when i replaced the iac it was jet black so i will pull the iat then and check it out. anything i should look for ????...

ok so i pulled the iat it is jet black and smells like old gas

Last edited:

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i also pulled the plugs they keep getting carbon on them i have lost track how many times i have replaced them last year for this reason

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Does it blow black smoke at start up the fouled plugs could be from bad valve guide seals. Be sure and reset the computer by disconnecting the neg terminal off the battery then clean the intake air temp sensor. do not use solvent use rubbing alcohol or electrical cleaner. If its in the air filter box it a IAT if in the plenum its a ACT.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
You can change valve guide seals without pulling the heads put the piston all the way up and add air pressure in the spark plug hole with a compression tester fitting to hold the valves up while you change the seals.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The IAT gets gummed up with carbon and small amounts of oil. Just clean it off until you can see the clean little bulb in the middle. Or just replace it, they are pretty cheap. A bad reading from that sensor can mess with the air/fuel calculation.

I'd also check on the fuel pressure regulator. A bad one can add a LOT of extra fuel and foul plugs quickly.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
How often do you change the PCV valve If your getting excess blowby is another sign of valve guide seals leaking It plugs the EGR also.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
No codes huh? Have you checked the O2 sensor? If working improperly it can cause the mixture to go pig rich. One thing you can do is disconnect it. If it is messing with the mixture, unplugging it will actually make it better. This is just a test, not a solution. But if it runs better without, that's your problem.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
ok guys here is the whole story forgive me for bad grammer. my buddy bought this back in 04 he used it for trail riding only. he replaced the rad, heads and water pump due to overheating. it would blow black smoke like a train at first til warmed up then it was fine. he started having issues with it not running right as im complaining about . the guys on the ford fourm told him to replace injectors ,wires, cap ,plugs and so on. he gave it to me cause he was fed up after some research i knew it was something dumb but i had to replace the tank pump first. so i replaced iac ,plugs,pick up coil, icm. i took wheeling one time it would run 20 min to a hour and shut off. let it cool down fire back up and roll. i left it go for awhile and now im picking it back up as spring will be here before i know it. it runs in park 10 to 20 min i put it in gear and it dies.he also claims he replaced the fuel filter under the driver seat which looks to me to be a second pump. all the sensors in this thing are orginal except what i replaced

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
So you replaced the pickup INSIDE the distributor? But not the TFI on the outside??

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
He said he replaced the ICM. The uninitiated call the TFI an ICM a lot of times.

The item under the driver's seat is the high pressure fuel pump.

The fuel filter is farther along the line, in the frame slope.

Last edited:

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
yeah i replaced both of them i just forgot what the tfi was called as soon as this ankle heals i will be checking out the bII see if its any better since i cleaned the iat ,act whatever you wanna call it lol

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
ok so i couldnt take it anymore and limped down to the garage. it started up right away (no crank time ) since i cleaned the iat ran for ten minutes and threw it in gear it shut off again. pulled a plug (middle on driver side) it has weak spark so what does that leave me with????? and they are carbon fouled again so help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
You never answered about having codes or not? So I guess no? Does your check engine light come on and go off while you are starting the engine? There is also a performance test the computer can do on your engine. It is easiest done with an EECIV scanner. It will take over your engine, raise the idle up and down, open and close things etc. It will report, through codes, what was wrong as it performed the test.

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i dont have a check engine light or any method to scan or read codes thats my big issue

You never answered about having codes or not? So I guess no? Does your check engine light come on and go off while you are starting the engine? There is also a performance test the computer can do on your engine. It is easiest done with an EECIV scanner. It will take over your engine, raise the idle up and down, open and close things etc. It will report, through codes, what was wrong as it performed the test.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
But does the light come on when you turn the key, then go out when it starts?

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i have no check engine light at all nothing