•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bronco 2 heads. 2.9

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
hey ya'll just wondering if it possible but can the 2.9 head be p&p.

cuz im already going to put a larger cam in it so i dont want to stop there.

any info would appreciated

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
well it wasnt what i was expecting to read. but it helped a lil bit. ill pass on the p&p and go with port matching and cam. lol i dont need a bunch of extra power just a lil bit. thx

shaysman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
i have an uncle that has a 88 2.9 and the head were done like that and had a cam put in and you can really tell the difference it wakes the 2.9 up

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i have an uncle that has a 88 2.9 and the head were done like that and had a cam put in and you can really tell the difference it wakes the 2.9 up
So would a bore and stroke. Add maybe 1.1 liter total.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
it wakes the 2.9 up
I had a street/drag cam custom ground for mine, it would go when hit you it for sure lol even cleaning up some of the factory garbage in the ports will benefit, a lot of power is hidden in the heads. I had my heads milled .030", too, but at that amount I ended up needing the lower intake milled to fix the geometry. Camcraft offers a performance 2.9L head that's ported, but I don't see them on their site anymore. They advertised that they would flow 10% over stock or something like that.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
nice. i read up on the 89 heads were able to be p&p. maybe ill have to get some and get the done.

adsm08: dude im not looking to motor swap. its easier to built up a motor that bolts right back into place than build an engine that everything must change. im good man. lol 2.9 has enuff power for me to do what i want.. lol ill get flat top pistons and do .1 displacement. lol would that make you feel better.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
broncobuckinaround since u have a 2.9 not everything has to be changed and u only have to splice under 15 wires i beleive so it wouldnt be to bad and u would have more power stock than building a 2.9 and putting strain on a engine that has quite a few miles atleast im guessing since its an 86

integman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
yea 2.9 is a waste of time. cant wait for mine to blow

Desert Jim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had my heads milled .030", too, but at that amount I ended up needing the lower intake milled to fix the geometry.
With gas hitting $5.00 a gallon, a little more compression and a smaller motor might not be bad. I played with a compression calculator and the 2.8 pistons look like they would have too much squeeze.

I estimate better than an 11:1 compression ratio. Too high for our crappy fuel and ancient engine management. Pete, What did you pick up milling .030 off your heads far as compression and combustion chamber cc's

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
I didn't measure since .030" really isn't much, but I was still probably under 10:1. I did still run it on 91 to be on the safe side.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
ive chosen to stay with the 2.9 because it is small and i can do a lot with it. i know 4.0 is bigger and better when it comes to power. but i dont really care. lol. im rebuilding my 2.9 with new heads. that i will have p&p, and port match through the intake and plenum. and swap out the injectors with 19lbs. getting a larger cam. also dual exhaust with X pipe. those mods alone will be perfect for what i need my b2 to do.