•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco 2 Shakes bad after fuel filter replacement?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Can someone help me? I just changed my bronco ii fuel filter. After installing it, I started up the thing and now it shakes bad while idling, and has not as much power as it did. I thought that there was too much air in the lines and tried to purge out the air, but that was taking forever and it didn't seem to fix anything. My buddy says that my in tank fuel pump may have coincidentally gone out the same time i fixed my fuel filter, because the car is acting like its getting fuel starvation. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If it won't run normally after idling for a few minutes something is up.

You didn't put it in backwards did you? The fuel filter is fairly directional for flow, and a backwards filter will make it run poorly.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If it won't run normally after idling for a few minutes something is up.

You didn't put it in backwards did you? The fuel filter is fairly directional for flow, and a backwards filter will make it run poorly.
Nope, didn't put it in backwards. It is the black canister type filter on the 4wd model. What do think my problem is?

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, that one. Does your's unscrew and have the actual filter inside or did you have to get the whole assembly like I do?

If you have the one that unscrews check the o-ring and make sure it is in the whole way. An incomplete seal around the threads can allow air to get drawn into the system and that will make it run poorly as well.

Also, might not hurt to replace the other filter now as it may be full of junk kicked up when you disturbed the downstream filter.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I unscrewed the assembly and got a new filter. I couldn't find a replacement housing anywhere so i just stuck with the filter. The o rings are where they are supposed to be. What other filter? Sorry I'm new to this bronco thing

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
What were you doing to purge the air out? If I'm thinking right the 86 models had the 2.9L V6, there should be a pressure relief valve sort of like a valve stem on the fuel rail, pressing that valve down and cranking the engine over should purge the air out of the fuel system.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thats exactly what i was doing. I did this for maybe 3-4 hours yesterday

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Weird, usually a few minutes at the most and it will purge the fuel out. I haven't the slightest clue why it would be shaking like that after simply changing a fuel filter.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
yeah i assume its the low psi pump in the tank that needs replaced, and it won't hurt anything to change it because it hasn't in 100k miles.