•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II Engine swap

revvinrich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have 1990 Bronco II 2.9 w/Automatic . Will a 3.0 V-6 drop in place of the 2.9

revvinrich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Bii

How about a 4.0 ? Because I've got a really good trans for the 2.9 or maybe an adapter plate ?

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
How about a 4.0 ? Because I've got a really good trans for the 2.9 or maybe an adapter plate ?
It says this in tech library in 4.0 Swap #2: "Basically any 4.0 has the same bellhousing as the other ford V6's, and will bolt up to them, HOWEVER, if you are using an automatic, I highly recommend you take the transmission from your donor vehicle because the older automatics and the newer ones will run and drive together, but it's not very nice. This has to do with the different valve body solenoid setup mainly."

revvinrich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
B2 Trans

I think I might be OK , I recently replaced the Automatic , It's a 5 speed Auto with OD . It might answer a few questions

richard89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger
Engine Size
Just finishing a similar swap a 93 3.0 auto into an 89 that had a 2.9 5spd. Had to fabricate engine mount adapters to fit the 3.0 as it is a narrower, taller engine. I would recommend getting all the wire harnesses from the doner truck. I ended up replacing the entire dash assy to keep the wiring simple.