•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II expert needed

macd7919

Reaction score
Ok, this is a bit of an oddball questions but here goes....

I just converted my 2wd B2 to 4wd AND installed a M5OD, to convert to 4wd I used a transfer case from a TK transmission and bolted it up to the MDO5.

The bracket for the transfer case "shifter" that was attached to the MDO5 looks as though it was meant for a cable. I removed that, but when I went to bolt up the transfer case gear shifter bracket from my TK the bolt holes are slightly off which isn't a big deal but even if I opened them up a little to fit, the arm with the little slot on it that joins with the transfer case it seems as though it's about 2-3 inches too short. My question is:

1. Is this the wrong bracket all together? If so, should I order the bracket from a FM based vehicle or did the M5OD based vehicle come with a manual based transfer case option that I could get the bracket from?

2. Would I be better off just having this piece extended to fit?

3. Am I completely off base? If so what should I be looking for?

Thanks guys!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, the brackets are different lengths because the transmissions are different lengths.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
The shift arm on the t-case is also gonna be too short.

macd7919

Reaction score
The bracket is different and you need to find one from an M5OD/A4LD with a 1350 t-case.
That's what I was thinking, anyone have one laying around they want to sell or could you recommend a make/model to purchase one from?

Yeah, the brackets are different lengths because the transmissions are different lengths.
I don't think the transmissions aren't different lengths as I have it in the car already and everything lines up fine except for the shifter sitting a little further forward. The transfer case is in the same spot as it was with my old trans, it's just the mounting holes for the bracket that are not in the right spot. You may be confusing the location the shifter etc... sits in the cab (further forward) with being different lengths. The physical length of the transmission is the same as the FM.

The shift arm on the t-case is also gonna be too short.
When you say shift arm what part are you referring to? The actual shifter part of the assembly that comes into the cab is fine, it's the part with the little groove that meets at the transfer case that's the problem.

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
When you say shift arm what part are you referring to? The actual shifter part of the assembly that comes into the cab is fine, it's the part with the little groove that meets at the transfer case that's the problem.
The tab that comes out of the T-case. I;ve seen atleast 4 different versions.

macd7919

Reaction score
I should be able to just extend the "arm" that has the slot in it though correct? The pivot point will still be the same, it's just a little short so if I get a piece of scrap steel and extend it I should be ok right?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
When I did my swap, I had a guy I work with cut the linkage from the t-case in half and extend it. I could not find one I needed to make it work.