•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II,Leaf springs, and U-bolt specifics? Help?

jtribalsun

Reaction score
Fort Campbell, KY / Clarksville,TN /Fordland, MO
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I've got an '89 Bronco II, 4x4, 5 speed, manual t-case, 2.9L. It's leaf springs are flat so i picked up a set of add a leafs from rough country, but i am trying to figure out what size U-bolts i need in case
I have to cut one off. and where i can get them? i've looked everywhere i can think of and can't find their exact size anywhere. i'd also like to try and find them a bit longer so i can leave the factory ones ib the stack as well. it's getting a full lift eventually, but for now i just want to fix the sag and improve it's on road handling. any info would be great!

:icon_hornsup:

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Find a shop in your area that specialize in leaf springs. They can bend U bolts to the length you need.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
The size you need is 3" by 1/2" by how ever long they are.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
If you can't find a shop to have them made, I know of 2 in Louisville that I always buy mine from for about $40 for all 4 bolts, nuts, and washers.

jtribalsun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
hey MJONES go ahead and hit me up with that shop info. I cant find anyone around here that can get them over 7 inches long. and with those add-a-leafs and the factory leafs i'm afraid that i'll need a bit more than that. I couldn't get a chance to tear into it this weekend so i would like to try and get them shipped up here before next. Thanks!

stevesb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9liter rebuilt w/new heads
You could have gotten a pair of springs from an early Explorer and put them on. And I've been told that you get roughly a 1" lift by doing it.

peracer

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Rural King will have them. Looks like there is one in Clarksville and Madisonville.

Last edited:

jtribalsun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Hey I just got them installed, I ended up going to a shop in Springfield, MO while I was up there, I gotta give props to those guys, they measured them while they were still on the truck and I paid $28 and some change for the 4 u-bolts and nuts and washers! the shop's name is Springfield Brake and it took them about five minutes! Also I want to make a note about the rough country add-a-leafs I installed. If your B II is suffering from butt dragg like mine was (look at the pic, it was bad!!!) and you need a quick cheap solution, this is it. about $50.00 for the leafs and their hardware and less than $30 on the u-bolts brought my total to $80 plus the case of tasty beverages to enlist a buddies help, it took a couple hours and it no kidding brought my back end up over 5 inches, just over stock height and they ride great, seriously money very well spent. I guess they ride so well because the worn out springs are giving to the overly stiff add-a-leafs, so it makes a great combo, long term..... haven't a clue, but it's only a temp fix till i throw in a 4in lift after i finish the body work. give me a couple days to get a new pic of the bronco up, the difference is ridiculous! It's very worth it, especially if you can do it yourself and don't have to pay the $150 labor fee. Any questions hit me up, thanks for everyones help I freaking love this site!!!