•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco ii lift

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Hi guys, I have a 89 Bronco ii that is all stock, I was wondering what size suspension lift I should get so I can run 31/10.5/15 and I plan to buy some new rims, so I would like to know if I get another set of 15s what back spacing I should get, because right now the tires sit to far in the wheel well with stock tires and the look just bothers me.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

H311RzR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
The tech library has a great thread about what is required for what tires.

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Okay, so I'm going to probably need a 4 inch lift. But I still haven't found anything about wheel spacing.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Actually....

An 89 should clear 31's if you have good springs. At most a 2" lift should do the trick. 33's will take a 3" lift minimum and a 4-5" lift would be ideal. I now have 7" of lift and we'll see how the 35's fit after I get the front axle back together.

Stock on 31's with factory rims.

3" lift and 31's

3" lift and 33's

5" lift and 33's

7" lift and 33's

To get the lift, I used a lot of info off of the tech archives on here. I went with a 2" body lift (which is about perfect, IMHO, for making the drivetrain sooo much easier to work on), I used a pair of 3" James Duff coils and a set of JD axle pivot drops in the front. Did custom front extended radius arms (it's been talked about a LOT in the suspension forum), used F-150 spring perches in the front (3" coils plus the spring perches makes for roughly 5" of lift), 4-door explorer leaf springs with an extra leaf in the back and Belltech chevy drop shackles for 5" in the back. Took my extended and collapsed shock lengths to a local auto parts store and had them match me something up. Had to buy a drop pitman arm. Front brake lines were extended using info from the tech archives. Rear brake line was ok for length but when I replaced it, I used one for an 88 (IIRC) because it's about an inch or so longer. Offhand I'm not sure the wheel size that was used on the 33's, the 31's were on stock rims, both steel rims and alloys. There is a thing in the tech archives about rim size, I went by those guidelines and ordered rims to put my 35's on but have not had a chance to try them on the truck yet because I need to get my front axle back together.

Last edited:

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Well I've decided, I really don't want to to big of a lift because I just do mild trails and stuff. So do you guys think a small body lift would do the trick? I just want some 31s, but I don't know if a body lift or suspension lift would be better.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I have the 4" from Rough Country. Its not too bad, a lil stiff. I'm runnin 30's

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Well I've decided, I really don't want to to big of a lift because I just do mild trails and stuff. So do you guys think a small body lift would do the trick? I just want some 31s, but I don't know if a body lift or suspension lift would be better.

Suspension lift. I'd go with Explorer springs, off an early 90's 4-door. Coils and leafs, they'll bolt right up and can give you up to 2" of lift, nothing else should have to be changed except doing an alignment on the front end. See how that works for clearance, if you need a little more, do a 1" or 2" body lift. But the springs should do it unless you get ones that are really worn out.

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
So if I take springs and leafs off a early explorer it should lift it up 2 inches?

87runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So if I take springs and leafs off a early explorer it should lift it up 2 inches?

I have F150 springs on my 87 got right around 2 inches and cost 35 dollars from a JY

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Okay, I have a coolant leak problem to fix and then I'm going to go find some coil springs.

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 89 bii. All stock. And have 31s only rub at full lock. And just barely rubs. Just need spacers or different offset wheels. Unless like said above suspension all worn out

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Okay, what would be a good offset to go after when I start looking for new rims?

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Idk. That's what I've been looking for ill let you knw what I can find

b2tamer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle