•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II Power windows not working

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have a 89 Bronco II Eddie Bauer with power windows that don't work. I have taken out the motor on both sides and tested them and they are working properly in both directions. I purchased a power window relay to try changing that but I can't find the freaking thing!:annoyed: Does anyone know where it is located? Or do you have any other suggestions as what to do to fix it? Thanks for any help you can give me!

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I went to Advance Auto and looked through a Ranger/Bronco II manual to find where the wiper motor relay was once since I couldnt find anything online. That might be a suggestion if no one on here knows where it is.

I wonder if it could be a ground issue or bad switches?

whocares

Reaction score
Wait, the motors are working when tested....are you not getting to and power from the switch?

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Power windows

I would see if you have power at the switch and window motor with a test light. My 89 ranger plow truck windows and locks quit work and i found the wiring harness were it comes out of the door and goes under the fender was bad over half the wires were broken. I cant remember were the relay is on the 88 bronco II it was on the core support were the wiring harness comes out between the fender and core support. Hope this helps

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
mine didnt work, but the previous owner had these plastic gear thingys and i put them and and they workd

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Odds are that it's the swtich, not the relay.

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well I know I get power to the plug that plugs into the motor, when you hit the switch either way because I tested it with a test light. But when you hit one of the window switches to roll the window down you can watch the Amp gauge drop almost all the way to 8 when I hit the switch but that doesn't happen with the others. I am officially stumped...I hate wiring!

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
An '89 BII doesn't have a power window relay, at least not from the factory. Check for a break in the wires, like a previous poster suggested. It's most likely that causing your problem, followed by a bad ground, or bad switches. It's a reversal-rest-at-ground circuit; a good old test light is actually better for testing, than a meter. Good luck!

sv650andy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the info everyone. I feel like an idiot now that I wasted a Saturday trying to track down something that isn't there. I guess just because Advance Auto Parts sells a relay and says there is one that it isn't the gospel. I guess I get to do some serious Wire searching this weekend.......

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 86-88 did use window up and down relays. In 89 they added two more wires to the switch base and started using the current system where instead of flipping a relay, the switch itself flips the current to the motor.

I'd have caught that one earlier, but I didn't notice your year.