•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bronco II temp gauge

faststang1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
hi guys, Names Andrew
I gauge been telling me that I been running hot so I bought a Radiator 2 rowfrom explore and T stat 195, coolent temp sensor for PCM and temp sender for the gauge installed everything and is says Im still running hot..I changed temp sender again and did not change I checked the temp with lazer temp gun and say 185 at T stat housing..I think my factory gauge might be broke..it stay at the O weres it says NORMAL on the gauge.
anybody got any ideas??

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the dash gauges are garbage just get a aftermarket. They have sunpro at AZ for $16 or you could get a more expensive one. and just put that in. will be much more accurate and reliable.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Fastang1...very good question/thread.

chrwilkens...Can you mention another brand which might be a "step up" from the $16 one please. And how hard are they to install?

Thanks...both of you.

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
they are not really step-up brand but more trusted by racer. Like Autometer or Autogage. I currently run autogage and a Vac and volt gage ran me around 60. Temp gauges are very easy to install. there is a sensor basically about the thermostat house that has one wire. I just unscrew the sensor and put the temp prob from the new gauge and its good to go. I will get a pic tomorrow for you.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks chrwilkins. You are very kind to offer the pic and respond.

I am not a racer by any means and I suppose the $16 one has to be better than just a dummy light for oil pressure. :D

So I should do a Temp, Oil and RPM?

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i would atleast do a oil(specially with the 2.9 oil problems) and temp. really dont need a tach but they are helpful when turning the rpm at idle up or down.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks. :icon_thumby:

Will do all three eventually. Do they come with Temp. RPM and Oil on one unit? I would not mind paying $60 for all three. It is worth the piece of mind.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ponyup, On my 87 I had problems with my Temp sensor, and my fuel level gauge. It turns out that both are controlled by an annoying little device on the back of theinstrument cluster, called a Voltage Stabilizer It is about an inch and a quarter long, 1/2 inch wide, and 1/4 inch deep, and has a posative and negative connectors like a nine volt battery. When it starts acting up, you may not be aware of it at first, the Fuel level gauge, may or may not seam correct. (I only noticed, because I was monitoring fuel consumption) But the Temp sensor unit was showing hotter than it actually was, like yours.
I don't know which other years have this thing, but apparently not all do. I tried ordering one (twice) from LMC truck, but the one they say will work for my application, does not mount up. It is's mounting tab is exactly backwards. I made a big deal to them about it, and I see looking at thier catalog, they didn't change it. Anyway, I did order an aftermarket one from someone on E-bay, but haven't gotten around to putting it on, yet.

I did get a summit racing temp gauge and mounted it to my stearing collumn. I had previously installed a 4.0 Explorer Radiator, and found that I was now running much cooler than I thought. I actually have to block 1/3 of my new rad to get it up to correct temp, (verified with a thermometer) even with 110 deg weather. (unless I run highway speeds for extended periods)

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks unoleisu. :icon_thumby:

Leaving for Kansas this evening to check out a 89 BII. I thought while up there I would try to get my brothers to help me put one in the 89 if I buy it. Then I would have some kind of idea as to how to put one in my 86 BII. But not sure about time as I am going to try to maybe get the timing "whatever 89 has", changed while up there.

What kind of "after market" are you putting in?

If my brothers are not "keen" on the idea of putting one in or they do not have time to teach me..Can I stop by OK. on my way back to Texas and watch you put yours in? :D

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
This is what I bought, you have to specify your 9V connectors. I'm sorry that I am pretty busy at the moment, and won't be able to meet up with you on this. (you have to pull the instrument cluster out). It isn't really hard, just time consuming. The new, after market one has velcro attachments, so you can pretty much mount it however you want to. (the original uses a screw, and fits in a tight spot.) Mounting is easy. The hardest part is pulling the instrument cluster so you can get there.

When you get to that point, give me a yell, and I'll be more than happy to tell you what I know. Sorry I can't be more helpfull at the moment!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Upgrade-Modern-Instrument-Cluster-Voltage-Regulator-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem415372cf6cQQitemZ280572907372QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks unoleisu!! You are most helpful!

Will read this when I get to Kansas and it is most certainly appreciated. :icon_thumby:

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I have both a mechanical temp and oil pressure guage. They both work great. Oil pressure tops 65 when cold starting. They are both very accurate.

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
hey

chrwilkins, what do you mean by "90' oil problems"?

Lukas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
chrwilkins, what do you mean by "2.9 oil problems"?? , i have a 90' 2.9