•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II "weird" Trans Noise

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Did you check up front at the warm air intake to the air cleaner box? The thin metal intake that fits around the exhaust manifold on the pass side can get loose enough to rattle a little, as well....

Trouble shooting an exhaust rattle is not my cup of tea. Start at the front and work your way back. use a rubber mallet to bang around on it. (that's what I did, besides banging on it with my hand)
When you check your tranny fluid, your gonna be watching for tinny metal flakes in it. I use a small mag light to shine into it at different angles. If you see anything like that, you may have a problem.

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Vehicle
Ford
I removed that warm air intake when i durasparked it. It was rusted through and i was able to just pull it off. Im off to bang on the exhaust now, and maybe change the tranny fluid later. Ill try the mag light trick when i do it. Ill keep updating as i rule this out

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Vehicle
Ford
SO.. Was really banging around today with a mallet and everything seems pretty darn sound. HOWEVER, there is seemingly something sligtly loose in the muffler. It isnt an expensive muffler. Just one of the ones with edges curled/smashed around so they seal. not welded muffler. It takes some effort to create sound, but its there. So no exhaust noise at idle, but in gear? that would be considered normal?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Could be it. I don't know of a good way to check it beyound that.
Maybe:
1. stretch a hammock under the truck from bumper to bumper, and get a trusted friend to drive while you hang out under there checking it out....(you should video this if you do, we wanna see it)
2. get in a manhole and listen as it passes over you...
3. put it up on stands and listen from underneith while someone runs it through the gears....

Seriously, all kidding asside, I'm outa suggestions at the moment. I do want to see a video of #1 though.... ;)

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
put it up on stands and listen from underneith while someone runs it through the gears....
I've done that many times. Still if the noise only occurs under load this will not narrow it down one bit.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger long cab
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Turn up the radio. I know I'm a big help. This problem will get louder if it is the exhaust. If it is the torque converter or the flex plate, you will know when the truck wont move. :D

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Vehicle
Ford
Today i changed the trans filter and pan gasket.. Fluid is clear with no shavings and smells/looks normal. Boy was changing that a PITA. But today i ran it through its paces with a buddy in the back. seems like the noise IS coming directly from the muffler area. definitly on the passenger side rear.

I guess im going to buy a new muffler, as ive been wanting one with a bit more sound anyways. Its sure not going to hurt. I can get dynomax on the cheap... Whats their quieter muffler out of the set? Thanks for the help. Pretty much eliminated the trans/converter possibility. And thats a weight off of my chest for sure

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I'm new at this so don't make me feel too bad if my guess is somewhat dumb.
However, is it possible the trasfer case could be slipping ? Second guess, the front dog bones maybe clicking ?
:icon_confused:

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Vehicle
Ford
Nah, theres really no clicking. Thanks for your bit of wisdom though! it all helps. Transfer case is fine. Pretty sure its exhaust at this point. Got a thrush welded muffler and will be putting it on this week. hopefully thats indeed the issue. if not, then i just have a better muffler anyways!

BIICory

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84'
Vehicle
Ford
No, my driveshaft is a CV shaft. it is rock solid, and i located the noise. It did end up being the muffler. one of the inner perforated pipes had a broken weld. Put my thrush welded on... Makes this tiny v6 sound big!! its deep. Thanks for all the help guys

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
does your driveshaft look like this? thats what i had when i bought mine, clicked and vibrated under acceleration only..went to jy bought a rear driveshaft out of a 90 bii u joint style fixed my prob.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6369&d=1322685669
Had one of those type of drive shafts and when it went out thought i ripped the trans out until i put it in 4 wheel drive. The viberation was so bad had hard time keeping it on the road to make it home in 4 wheel drive. Taking it out was the easy part just used a 12mm star socket to remove the 4 bolts that hold it on. On each side of the drive shaft.