•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

BroncoII 5 speed tranny noise

ramathorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
I have an 88 bronco 2 2.9 litre 4wd with a 5 speed manual tranny. Reciently the tranny started making a ticking noise that goes away when the clutch is depressed. I changed the clutch thinking it was a throw out bearing but still making the noise. Any ideas??

Last edited:

ramathorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Yes, the only time the noise goes away is when the clutch is pressed in.

ramathorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Thank You for all the help. I can see i came to the right place.:icon_rofl:

TCossuto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
:dntknw: I'm with you. Let me know if you find another forum that knows transmissions, or has more active members.

TCossuto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Oh hey, lemme try to help actually:

So it makes the noise with the drive shaft not moving? You can be in neutral with the clutch engaged (not pressed in) and it DOES tick? I guess you can rule out the rear end/drive shaft.

Are all the flywheel bolts torqued right? How loud is the clicking?

I don't know anything about broncos, but how is the clutch driven? cable or hydrological?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
hey this isnt the biggest forum out there. give it some time. just wait till AllenD, or MAKG find this thread. they know what they are talking about and can answer your question if and only if you give them some time.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I think it's pretty well covered.

It's either a failed transmission or the release bearing (it's not the clutch pressure plate because it would slip if it were loose), most likely the former, assuming the noise is present in neutral with the parking brake down. That immobilizes everything from the transmission mainshaft back to the wheels.

There are probably some "goodies" in the transmission fluid.

I take it this transmission has a stamped steel bottom pan? Most but not all 1988 2.9Ls do. That's a standard failure mode for this transmission. Usually, it's a failed input bearing, but it takes a lot of stuff with it by the time it starts banging (the first symptom is usually a whine in every gear but 4th and that's the time you can actually think about changing just a $40 bearing).

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L

lol

there might be another forum out there with more active members, but I doubt as knowledgeable as the ones here.

I agree, transmission input shaft bearing.

Yeah just have a bit of patience, most questions do get answered within a day or two, if not right away ;) (and as was said, it's been covered a lot here too. a bit of searching could pull up the answer for you (the Mitsubishi FM146 is not the best transmission Ford ever put in these things.)

Welcome to the forum :beer:

Last edited:

ramathorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Thanks guys,
I will start pullig it back out this weekend.

TCossuto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
I think it's pretty well covered.

It's either a failed transmission or the release bearing (it's not the clutch pressure plate because it would slip if it were loose), most likely the former, assuming the noise is present in neutral with the parking brake down. That immobilizes everything from the transmission mainshaft back to the wheels.

There are probably some "goodies" in the transmission fluid.

I take it this transmission has a stamped steel bottom pan? Most but not all 1988 2.9Ls do. That's a standard failure mode for this transmission. Usually, it's a failed input bearing, but it takes a lot of stuff with it by the time it starts banging (the first symptom is usually a whine in every gear but 4th and that's the time you can actually think about changing just a $40 bearing).
Mind giving me some advice? I've got a 95 with the 4e44 (I think that's it), and it shifts hard. I'm thinking solenoids?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
This is a completely unrelated question. It's considered rude to hijack a thread like that. Please post your own thread, and it's much more likely to get answered. FYI, I'm not the auto trans expert here, but I think blaming solenoids is a shot in the dark and isn't likely.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Mind giving me some advice? I've got a 95 with the 4e44 (I think that's it), and it shifts hard. I'm thinking solenoids?
Start a new thread and I'll try to help.