•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Check engine light flashes while driving?

94DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hello all,
I have a 1988 Bronco II with a 2.9 5speed. It runs great only problem the check engine light flashes while I'm driving. When it comes on I can give it gas and it goes right off. WTH? (what the heck) It doesn't affect the performance at all. Any help will be appericated.:icon_confused:

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If I could help I would, but I'm not familiar with all that computer controlled gadgetry. :dunno:

All mine are carb. driven 2.8's & D-sparked so the computers are history :icon_thumby:

Good luck!

xlt90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
mine does the same thing i think i'll go to the zone and get the codes read.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
could be something like the O2 sensor shorting out

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No other symptom you say? Probably a bad wire somewhere either causing a minor issue for a few seconds or grounding the light and turning it on.

Is it a consistent flash? If so you may need a new pickup module. I know that on the 96 and up at least a flashing CEL means a class A (dead) misfire and that you need to shut it down before it melts the converter. But if its actually doing that then you'd know about it, unless you are a complete moron, and you don't sound like you are.

The gas thing also kinda makes me think pickup module, since that style sensor isn't wonderful at low speeds, but once you give it gas you speed it up and it starts giving a better signal.

brianballard1983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i got a 88 ranger that does the same thing but i got more problems read my thread the tittle is noisy little 2.9. im thinking of unhooking mine

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
I had the same problem, thought it was the MAP sensor becauce the check eng. light came on between 6 to 12 in. of vac. But come to find out it was the TP switch. I bought a used 58mm t-body witch had a bad switch. Put the the switch on from the old t-body and that solved it.