•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

clicking noise

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I get one thing working and another pops I am getting a clicking noise that i narrowed down to the distributor plugs are burning good but idle moves up and down and rough at times not all the time. did the duraspark conversion and cap and rotor seem to be ok could the rebuilt distributor be the issue anyone have the same problem they could shed some light for me I found the clicking with a long screwdriver to my ear it runs great above idle

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Mine does the same thing... It will idle up for a bit then just drop to a low idle then back up and keep doing that? Haven't figured out the problem but my guess is something to do with the vacuum lines or something but since mine only does it most of the time instead of all the time... I'm stumped too.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Is it a new cap and rotor? They can make a clicking noise for the first few hundred miles as the rotor actually hits the pins on the cap. After a few hundred miles they wear down and the noise stops.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
yea the cap rotor and distributor is new well the dist is rebuilt but I put dielectric on the rotor spring and wire ends and started it still clicking when i put the screwdriver on that is what it sounds like so if it is not somthing bad I will run it and see if it goes away not many things actually fix themselves tho so will keep an eye on it. I bought some plugs on ebay three weeks ago still have not got them yet so still running old plugs hope the new ones correct the rough idle

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
Idle air control valve