•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

computer

Racenut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
What year(s) computer will fit and work on an 87 b2 2.9?

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
IDK, but I would suspect that any Ford 2.9 computer from a Bronco II or Ranger that matches the transmission (manual or automatic) would work.

That would mean 86 to 92.

gbearsf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Nissan
Computer

90 BII Eddie Bauer: I'm no expert but my experience with a damaged computer was that my mechanic combed the local yards here in Los Cabos and brought about 6 different units from Rangers and BIIs - with only one was I able to start the car and drive but it lurched and coughed, so none of them worked. I was told that the numbers on your unit have to match exactly with the replacement as each model is unique and the 2.9 underwent changes through the years. In other words, a Ranger computer won't work on a BII and an XLT won't work on an Eddie Bauer, and I'm not so sure different years will work on same models. Since my car was in Los Cabos I couldn't order a replacement so I ended up giving it to a computer repair guy who actually fixed it! Disclaimer: this was only MY experience so I would wait to hear from an expert.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My experience tells me that you have been talking to an idiot. Parts of what you have been told about computer specificity are true when applied to vehicles about 1998 and up.

I have run my 87 with it's original computer, a remaned one bought from NAPA that had the wrong numbers, and one that I stole out of an 88 Ranger. This also includes swapping in an engine from an 89 and a transmission from a 91.

A 2.9 is a 2.9 is a 2.9. It will run, it will drive, it may not have over drive if it's an auto, but all 2.9 computers are backwards compatible. The only time you run into trouble is putting an 86/87 computer in an 88+ or putting a speed/density computer in a MAF system (or the other way around).

You say you combed Los Cabos, that's West coast area. Your BII doesn't have the MAF setup by any chance, does it? That could well be the source of your problem.