•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

concerns about re-grinding camshaft

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
ok so i know that it can be done. only because the valvetrain is adjustable.

so my question is, is it worth it and is it reliable. how much power comes from taking away metal from the bottom of the lobe.

it makes sense but at the same time it doesnt.

the part that im having a hard time comprehending is that i have hydraulic lifters. is the oil pressure enough to complete the proper valve lift or should i swap to solid lifters.

btw this is a 86 b2 2.9 auto.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
On a regrind, you usually need longer pushrods to compensate for the small base circle of the "new" cam.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
but the rockers are adjustable. you would think just making the proper adjustments would be fine. idk. if i were to need longer push rods, where would i find them.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
but the rockers are adjustable. you would think just making the proper adjustments would be fine. idk. if i were to need longer push rods, where would i find them.
Well...I dont think you'll be grinding the cam in your basement, so I would talk to the cam grinder about what he recommends.
I know Smith Brothers make quality push rods, thats what most people use when the swap in 410 or 422 cams in a 4.0l.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
lol yeah im not doing it my basement. lol. i wish i had that kind of equip tho.
ill talk to the machine shop that is doing my motor work. been three weeks and im still waiting on my block.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well...I dont think you'll be grinding the cam in your basement
So you don't just rip your cam out, chock it up in a c-clamp that is c-clamped to a rolling hospital table in your basement, grab your grinder, and just have at 'er when you don't like the way your engine runs anymore?

You mean I have been doing it wrong all these years?

:bawling::bawling::bawling:

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
really????? wow your so cool.

good thing i have a sense of humor. but seriously that was a retarded come back. sounds like something my 3 year old would say.

anyways im really serious about this and am looking for answers, kinda why people come to these forums. no answer no comment. thx bud

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
really????? wow your so cool.

good thing i have a sense of humor. but seriously that was a retarded come back. sounds like something my 3 year old would say.

anyways im really serious about this and am looking for answers, kinda why people come to these forums. no answer no comment. thx bud
Calm down killer.... He was just making a joke.

Jumping down the throat of one of the senior members here isnt the best way to get future questions answered.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
im just not a big fan of joking around when im looking for answers to serious questions. im mean if i were dumb dude asking dumb questions that i knew the answer to. like moding out a saturn or something that really doesnt need to be modded. dont get me wrong i have a great sense of humor, just not when i need answers. you know what i mean.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
adsm has a very unique flavor of humor. i havent decided if its good or if its bad, but (i think) its in good fun. don't take it personally.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, the need for longer push rods will depend on how much you want to take off.

The whole point of grinding down the stock cam is that you make the circle smaller and readjust the valves to proper spec against the smaller circle, in effect making the lift lobe larger by comparison, that's how you gain the power from it, so as long as you don't take more than you can compensate for by valve adjustment then longer rods aren't needed.

Now, is it worth it? Not really. The 2.9 with a ground cam is still a 2.9. It still has head issues, it still has lifter issues, it still has lube system design flaws. As has been said time and again the performance fix for the 2.9 is the 4.0.

But if you are dead set on keeping the 2.9 I know a guy selling a custom cam that he spec'd out himself, with all the needed other parts to make it work right. Last I knew he wanted $100 + shipping for it. I'll ask him Monday when I see him if he still has it and all the pieces. FWIW I am running one of the 3 he had made in my truck and it does make a noticeable difference over stock.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I would say in a driver situation you would not need longer pushrods. I have used reground cams before. Always used stock valve train parts. The amount that comes off during a regrind is so small you probably would believe it. It's a cheaper way of getting anew profile, if you have a reputable grinder. I got a cam from Chet Herbert many years ago, but he's gone. The son is still around so I don't know if the business still does it. Its kind of a lost art, because there isn't much call for it in today's world.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
adsm i want to say im sorry for getting a lil heated at your humor. sorry bro.

and discription was freaking awesome and i thank you for that. yes i am dead set on this 2.9 kunes has some ways that can make the oiling a lil better. im going to get 89TM heads because they are cast iron. there a lil harder to crack.

im one of those guys who sees the issue and shuts down til its fixed. aka over heating.

but thanks. btw is 264 to much

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It's cool dude. I understand that not everyone gets or appreciates my sense of humor.

Now are you asking about $264 for the grind, or .264 inches taken off?

Last edited:

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
.264 inches. theres a cam out for a 2.8 that is a 264. it sounds frickin awesome.

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
so why doesn't any company's make a custom core piece for the 2.9
i haven't found any company's that can make me a custom ground camshaft. any body know of anyone who can point me in the right direction

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Nobody makes custom blanks for the 2.9 anymore because nobody really tries to build 2.9s anymore.

I know there is a guy near me who will make custom cams for anything you want, but you have to get at least 3 if it is something odd like a 2.9 or he won't do it.

What exactly is your end goal?

broncobuckinaround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Vehicle
ford
so he would want me to buy three cams. seems weird. idk about that. lol i think i was just have this one re ground. so do you think .264 is a good thing