•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

cv driveshaft

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
well found a b2 without a cv shaft at jyard yesterday so out came my clicking cv shaft :thefinger:

got in its place a double cardigan which i heard isnt the best (cant see why tho) it has almost ZERO slop so :yahoo::headbang:

got that done yesterday since it was a balmy 4 degrees yesterday!

also installed a cd deck so i finally got rid of my factory radio :icon_hornsup:

also scored some tow hooks from a tj jeep that fit to the mountings of my winch bumper!

wicked weekend for my bronco 2 thats for sure!:icon_cheers:

Attachments

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well the double cardigan is undesirable simply due to the fact that while the single cardigan is still highly acceptable as business attire, the double cardigan is universally accepted as fugly, as shown in this link http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/280/2807475/07_2009/4f/marc-double-cardigan.jpg

The model is attractive, the sweater is ugly as sin.

The double CARDAN u-joint setup is inferior because while it allows for greater drive-line angles it can also be subject to more vibration, and its just a pain to replace those double joints.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Double cardigans last longer, making it worth the "Pain" to replace the joints.
Realy I dont understand the "pain" as all you are doing is pounding out old and tapping in new.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
LOL to the first post. thats what i thought to about lasting longer....a double cardan will last longer because there is less stress because there are 4 joints and not just 2 no?

and i can see the vibration issues...mine was mostly vibration free with the cv now i can feel the driveshaft....a small piece of mind considering id say

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Yeah, you want "pain"? Wait untilt he F%^*n' CV bites it in the middle of a one shot hill climb. I MUCH rather have the Ujoint style. At least if it goes, there is a warning, normally. The CV just kind of goes "Whizzzzzzzzzz" at the moment that it goes out.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
If you are getting a bit of vibration, try unbolting it turning the output 180deg. and bolting it back up, when I installed the clutch in my 88BII I had a bit of vibration and this cured the most of it.

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Vehicle
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
If you are getting a bit of vibration, try unbolting it turning the output 180deg. and bolting it back up, when I installed the clutch in my 88BII I had a bit of vibration and this cured the most of it.
This is correct, if your read the shop manuals they tell you to mark the flanges so they go back in the same place. Turn it till the vibration goes away, then mark it so it goes back in the same place when you remove/reinstall.
This is what happens with the CV drive lines.

Cardon is the only way to go, single is a thousand time better, double is way better than that.
Try repairing a CV on the trail, if you don't have a replacement, it is not going to happen. U-joints are cheap and easy to carry as a spare. Any one who drives off road, should carry at least one spare u-joint for each u-joint size your rig has any way.

Ray

Last edited:

whocares

Reaction score
Well the double cardigan is undesirable simply due to the fact that while the single cardigan is still highly acceptable as business attire, the double cardigan is universally accepted as fugly, as shown in this link http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/280/2807475/07_2009/4f/marc-double-cardigan.jpg

The model is attractive, the sweater is ugly as sin.

The double CARDAN u-joint setup is inferior because while it allows for greater drive-line angles it can also be subject to more vibration, and its just a pain to replace those double joints.
I see what you did there. :icon_thumby:

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I've got a single cardan shaft in my garage ready to replace my CV.

Now from what I understand though the pinion angle should be different between single and double. Probably no difference switching between the two or not (on a stock height vehicle anyway), but if you read instructions on setting your driveline/pinion angle, the instructions are different depending on whether you have a single or double cardan joint. The double cardan offsets it's own vibration, where as a single cardan shaft uses the two joints to offset eachother.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I have a single u-joint shaft on my B2 and it's worked fine for 20K+ miles.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
im not to worried about the vibration it hasnt bothered me yet...when i change it all i gotta do is block wheels, tranny in neutral, then spin the shaft 180 degrees right?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Yup. if it doesnot fix it, try turning the driveline 180deg. at the axle.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
right on...i was just happy as hell to get some tunes in my ride lol.... my factory stereo would cut in and out to different speakers so sometimes only my right front would be on or only my rear speakers... VERY annoying

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Had that same issue with mine.... good thing ford makes better trucks then stereos....

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
gotta say tho the stock speakers ROCK

alittle low on bass for my tastes but still kick arse!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gotta say tho the stock speakers ROCK

alittle low on bass for my tastes but still kick arse!
I dunno, I managed to blow out my rears with a fairly low powered CD player.