•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

D28 to D35 swap Bronco II

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
I couldn't find the exact answer by searching, if I'm just overlooking it please forgive me. But, I was wanting to search some junkyards for a D35 to swap into my B2, wouldn't I just be able to find a 90 B2 with the D35 and be able to swap it dirrectly in without shortening the driveshaft like with an explorer D35? And if thats the case, could I just get a D35 from an explorer (if theyre better for some reason) and use a front driveshaft from a 90, D35 equiped B2?

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Um. No.

The search button or the Tech library WILL tell you the years you can find a Dana 35 in.

Either way, you will need a new driveshaft.

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
http://www.broncoiicorral.com/facts.htm

This is where i got the idea for trying to find a 90 model. It says for the B2 90 and up they had the D30 instead of D28. I was just thinking cause I wouldnt be swapping into a different vehicle, it wouldn't require a shorter driveshaft. I just dont have a place near that would be able to shorten and balance a driveshaft.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
All the D35s are the same, whether it comes from a BII, Ranger or Explorer.

The difference is with the t-case. Yours probably has the 1350 t-case with the slip front driveshaft, all D35 rigs (the BIIs too) come with a 1354 fixed-yoke case and different driveshaft.

If you also swap the t-case and driveshaft from your donor (can be a BII, Ranger or Explorer), this will then allow everything to bolt right into yours.

Hope that explains it.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Technically not true.

In 1995 the knuckles and brakes switched from single-piston calipers with those stupid, awful slide pins to dual-piston bolt on ones (which is what I have now :D).

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Technically not true.

In 1995 the knuckles and brakes switched from single-piston calipers with those stupid, awful slide pins to dual-piston bolt on ones (which is what I have now :D).
Ok, you got me on that part, however I was speaking in relevance to his question about it fitting with the driveshaft.
If we go further, those same ones have adjustable steering stops and 3-piece axle thrust washers too. :D

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, you got me there, however I was speaking in relevance to his question about it fitting with the driveshaft. :D
Yeah, I thought about going back and editing that to say the change wasn't relevant, but I feel like being a smart alack tonight.

2813josh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Yeah, I thought about going back and editing that to say the change wasn't relevant, but I feel like being a smart alack tonight.
Ha,I'm actually glad you posted that. I learned something new.

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
sorry, I didnt think to add, I have a swapped M5OD and a manual Borg Warner transfer case from a 91 Explorer. I also believe it has an explorer front driveshaft, (if I can remember what the previous owner told me)but im not sure about that. My thought was just that, if I have the explorer t-case, and got a D35 from a Bronco (so it would be a nearly dirrect bolt in) a Bronco II driveshaft would be the proper length.

Last edited:

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3

The difference is with the t-case. Yours probably has the 1350 t-case with the slip front driveshaft, all D35 rigs (the BIIs too) come with a 1354 fixed-yoke case and different driveshaft.

If you also swap the t-case and driveshaft from your donor (can be a BII, Ranger or Explorer), this will then allow everything to bolt right into yours.

Hope that explains it.

So since I have an Explorer t case all ready, I could find an explorer take the front driveshaft and D35 not have to shorten the driveshaft?

scotts90ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
If it has an explorer T case already, it already has an explorer front driveshaft, look at the shaft, if there's a slip spline between the U joints (or even easier, if the T case side has a Dual Cardan joint), it's an explorer shaft already, if the slip splines are at the T case then it's not. If it's got explorer shaft then all you need is any Dana 35, you already have the proper driveshaft... just avoid '93-97 2.3L and 3.0L equipped Rangers as they could have the hybrid axle.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
So since I have an Explorer t case all ready, I could find an explorer take the front driveshaft and D35 not have to shorten the driveshaft?
Sounds like you're already set. :icon_thumby: