•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dana 28 Diff swap question?

PeteyGrizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
I'm sure to many of you this is a rookie question, but I have no experience with differentials and gears.

I have an 88 B2 which runs great but apparently the rear diff is on its way out. The pinion seal is leaking badly and there is now a slight vibration. It has 3.45 gears. I have a second 89B2 with no motor that has 3.73 gears. I have no problem changing out the entire rear axle assembly. The question is can I just change the pumpkin in the front without removing the beams or getting too involved with the gears, or will it be easier to change the entire axle assembly?

The donor vehicle was in good running order when last driven and considering that I am running 32x11.5" tires the step down in ratio should help.

Thanks

Last edited:

ryan

/mode channel +b *!*@*
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
at the point where you're getting to that bolt to swing the pumpkin out, it might just be easier to swap the whole thing

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
28 swap

If your swaping dana 28 to dana 28 there is no swing out bolt that dana 35 only.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Swing out bolt? As in the pinch bolt? It's been a while since I've messed with a D28 but I swear I remember a pinch bolt.

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Swing out bolt? As in the pinch bolt? It's been a while since I've messed with a D28 but I swear I remember a pinch bolt.
i've never heard anybody call it a swing out bolt, but a d28 definitely has a pinch bolt.

haulasswithclass

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
dana 28

If they do have u can get to them with out taking the raduis arm loose. Its been a long time since i have been in to a 28. But i remember pull a third member with out taking the raduis arms loose.

Last edited:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
FORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
The pinch bolt clears the Radius arms on the D28. Its the D35's where the problem is. At least on my Ranger(when it had the 28 in it)it did.

ryan

/mode channel +b *!*@*
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
yes, the pinch bolt

leave me alone, it was early :) it's been probably a couple of years since i've seen a TTB axle. mostly I remembered how big of a pain it was on the 35

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
ya the 35 is effin retarded pulled mine out a few months ago and almost emptied a clip of 38's into the bugger because how pissed I was on the swing out bolt. GAWD HOW STUPID WTF. fyi eff gettin another 28 just get 35 and 8.8 almost a direct bolt in. DO YOUR RESEARCH lol I did one a few years back and from what I remember is that it just needed the perches rewelded in the back and the front needed the old bolts off the 28? please some1 correct me if I'm wrong lol.

litlred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9lt
if your changing ratios, you might wanna make sure you change both the front and rear axle... if not have fun in 4 wheel drive... the 28 is a smaller chunk than the 35, so it has a longer drive shaft, i did the swap in mine and was able to keep my drive shaft, but only because i have 6'' susp lift which needs a longer drive shaft anyways.

901wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Fuel sippin 4.9
if your changing ratios, you might wanna make sure you change both the front and rear axle... if not have fun in 4 wheel drive... the 28 is a smaller chunk than the 35, so it has a longer drive shaft, i did the swap in mine and was able to keep my drive shaft, but only because i have 6'' susp lift which needs a longer drive shaft anyways.
Did you even read his Q?:icon_confused:

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
I say thro a 35 in doesn't take much just a bottle of vodka a impact gun and some bros to cheer ya on lol haha. but that's how you get hurt so be cautious lol