•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dash Swap from 87 Bronco II - 92 Ranger

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
total noob when it comes to this subject, does anyone know if the is already a thread on this, or that has info on this. It would be much appreciated

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
None that I know of. Most people upgrade their dash not downgrade lol.

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sorry I am swapping in the 92 Ranger dash not the other way around

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Do a search I know I've ran across dash swaps on here before just can't think of any and who has done them. Someone with a better idea should pick up on this thread here pretty soon.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Sorry, haven't finished mine yet. But mines a little more complicated or maybe simpler, depending on how you look at it. I took the engine, all the harnesses, and a/c hvac box all from a 93 to swap into my 88.

There are threads on it, but difficult to find, because usually they are within a build thread.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

87steelhorseII

Reaction score
Under the Carolina Moon and Palmetto Tree (SC)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I too have an 87 B2 and what I have found is the wiring harness at the firewall is different. More wires on the newer.

I was told the dash was an easy swap. Yes the cab is the same for the ranger and explorer (up to 94) and they will fit with a few mods from what I have read on this forum.
However, I pulled a dash from a 91 explorer and brought it home to only find out the harnesses are different.

As I dug further, most suggested a full 4.0 swap (from an explorer) and dash so all the wiring matches up.

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys thanks for all the advice, ya I am swapping from the 2.9 to the 4.0 so I figure that it would be less dicking around with wiring and just do the dash swap

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
I swapped a 92 dash into my 86 b2, along with the 4.0 , basically you need to gut your b2, it will be easyier to use the newer steering colum and brackets but not nessesary, I used the first gen column, the only wiring that will need to be spliced or swapped is the 4x4 engagement dash lights 2 baby blue wires on with black stripe
Gas guage and fuel pump, and taillights n running lights, all those connections should all be color coded correctly, and the splicing will be at the drivers side frame rail under the brake booster, you'll have to figure out your headlights, as I swapped a 2nd gen front clip on as we'll, it's not to hard, just remember how you took the 92 apart and look at the differnces, I had to melt the upper blower vent housing to fit around the old style steering column, but if there is a will there is a way, good luck an if you need any help send me a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks I will, but the problem is I need to do this as fast as possible, the BII is my daily driver, i am going to swap the trans and motor at the same time to avoid any further work

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
I'm doing this in the spring. I've already done the 4.0 swap into my B2, and its my DD. My donor body is an 87. So I'll be gutting the 87 getting it ready for the swap.

I've never pulled a dash, so its a first for me.

Just take a lot of pics, for your own use, then post your progress.

Good luck

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What do you guys do with your old dashes? I'd love to be able to find all of the colored parts in tan to get rid of my red interior.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Typically scrap or mancave decoration.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
My old dash is still sitting in my garage, but it's blue ;/ , but these old dashes look like they would be easy to paint, with rust oleum or the like, even use the krylon plastic paint, a lot of newer abs plastic interiors are painted, my buddy's 03 Cadillac escalade has a black interior that was painted beige n brown, except for the fancy plastic wood grain panels that are custom Cadillac interior pieces, where there is a will there is a way, luckily the 2nd gen dash I snagged from the ranger was a navy blue and was very close to the original blue interior of the 86 b2 so everything looks like t belongs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87steelhorseII

Reaction score
Under the Carolina Moon and Palmetto Tree (SC)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Check online and see if you have a Pull A Part salvage yard near you to see if they have any B2's on hand. I just pulled a tan interior from an 88 Eddie Bauer for my 87 XLT. Seats were in great condition. I did pull the dash but I think I may just paint the red dash I currently have and swap out the tan trim pieces.