•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dash Swap:New to older style

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
I'm wondering if I can swap my 90 BII dash with a older model dash. I like how the old dash allows for quick heater core replacement. It took me about 10 minutes to put a new heater core in my 88 Ranger. :D

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If making heater core replacement in an 90 is your only goal then the dash swap is pointless because it shouldn't be any different on the GEN2 dash. Now if there is some aesthetic value to the swap as well, that is different.

The swap can be done though. Putting the newer dash in the older vehicles is commonly done with 4.0 swaps, and I have put the newer harness in the older dash. It was a lot of work and figuring, but it works really well. You will need a few plugs off the older harness and a lot of pins need to be rearranged in plugs, but almost all of them fit, so splicing is not needed or recommended in most spots. But keeping the existing dash harness is a must since the connection to the engine bay is very different.

joenorthcarolina

Reaction score
Vehicle
Ford
So your saying the "90 BII heater core is just as easy to change out ? I read that the dash need to come out. I can't tell by looking at it because there is a large cover around the heater box. I'm just going by what I've read in the forums.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Dash removal is not required on the Ranger/Explorer/BII before 1995 for heater core replacement.

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Another reason to never buy a newer vehicle. Besides the fact that everything looks the same after the 80s.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Another reason to never buy a newer vehicle. Besides the fact that everything looks the same after the 80s.
Yeah, with the last real cosmetic revision being in 1995, I will keep my 87 looking like one.