•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dash Turn Signal Indicator Light Not Flashing

TomAZ89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
1989 Bronco II Manual Trans.
Hello All I have run into a problem with the driver side dash turn signal indicator light as well as hazard light not illuminating on the dash. Passenger side indicator on dash and lights are working properly. I have searched the site and taken some advice on things to check.

When turn signal is turned on they do work on the outside of the vehicle. When the Hazards are turned on they work on the outside of the vehicle. Just left indicator on dash is not lighting up and blinking...just blank.

Tested all fuses. Checked driver side bulbs. They are all working and blinking. Had a spare flasher and just swapped that in even though the flasher was working fine on outside of vehicle.

For reference this cropped up after I had a new starter installed....not sure if this could be related to that.

Anything to check would be appreciated. If I have to replace the bulb in the dash. How difficult is that to get to? Can I access it by remove trim piece or do I have to take the column apart?

Thanks for any suggestions.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Might be the bulb in the instrument cluster.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Bulb in the dash. Not difficult. Column doesn’t need disassembled. Screws around the front bezel. Disconnect speedometer cable and two electric plugs on the back and it comes out. Attention to details and patients goes a long way. If you can’t figure it out I have the same truck and can walk you through it.

TomAZ89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Bulb in the dash. Not difficult. Column doesn’t need disassembled. Screws around the front bezel. Disconnect speedometer cable and two electric plugs on the back and it comes out. Attention to details and patients goes a long way. If you can’t figure it out I have the same truck and can walk you through it.
Thanks Jerry C. Hoping I didn't need to go there. I always am worried about breaking a plastic clip on project like this. Thanks for the offer on walking me thru it.....I might need to take you up on that.

TomAZ89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Removed two screws to take of trim. Removed 4 screws holding bezel. Will it come out far enough to reach the back to remove speedo cable and plugs. Thanks

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks Jerry C. Hoping I didn't need to go there. I always am worried about breaking a plastic clip on project like this. Thanks for the offer on walking me thru it.....I might need to take you up on that.
That was TW205, not me :)

I've had the cluster out on my '88 but that was a few years ago. All I remember is that speedo cable was fidly. If somebody here can tell you which way to get it loose that would big help as you can't see it.

The previous owner had busted the bezel up some by (guessing) overtightening the screws. So watch out for that.

TomAZ89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
That was TW205, not me :)

I've had the cluster out on my '88 but that was a few years ago. All I remember is that speedo cable was fidly. If somebody here can tell you which way to get it loose that would big help as you can't see it.

The previous owner had busted the bezel up some by (guessing) overtightening the screws. So watch out for that.
I got it out carefully. I see 16 of the quarter turn bulbs but I think to get to the turn signal bulbs I have to remove another cover below the speed cable? I think.

Attachments

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My service manual for my '88 shows a diff cluster, I can't say for sure.

TomAZ89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
With the dash cluster out I started inspecting the 1/4 turn bulbs and the filaments all looked good...even the bulb for the left turn indicator. That is until I popped it out of the 1/4 turn mounting socket. Near the base was cracked/broken. I was actually happy to see that because the bulbs looked good and I thought this was going to be a dead-end.

Replaced a bunch of other bulbs since I had the thing out. What a pain to get it back in and the speedo cable and connectors back in place. There is no easy way.

Tested the left turn indicator and hazard indicator....all is working well again. My only concern is if I got the speedo connection put back in correctly. So before I put the dash trim back in I need to test drive to be sure the speedometer is working...It's late so that is for tomorrow.

I will post some photos later that might help someone when they need to do this.

Also Thanks for help I received from this forum

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Good job! The speedo cable can be pushed on from under the dash if it’s not on all the way.

TomAZ89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Here are some photos of the instrument panel (1989 Bronco II) that kind of shows how the 2 electrical blocks and speedo cable are configured behind the instruments. Good reference as you really can't see any of this when you are trying to remove because of tight fit.
Thanks again for the suggestions on taking this apart.

Attachments

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Here are some photos of the instrument panel (1989 Bronco II) that kind of shows how the 2 electrical blocks and speedo cable are configured behind the instruments. Good reference as you really can't see any of this when you are trying to remove because of tight fit.
Thanks again for the suggestions on taking this apart.
Thanks for following up. Always thinking of the next guy. 👍

Gordy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I had the instrument cluster out to track down an issue with dash light fuse blowing as soon as the lights were turned on. Got that squared away and when I put it back together fuel and oil pressure gauges didn't work. Took it apart again and a couple tabs on the flexible circuit board where the multi prong plug goes were bent over. Straightened them out and carefully put the connector back in and all was well.