•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Distributor

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
I ve installed a rebuilt dist. and have remoted the TFI in a heatsink and have mounted it inside the Bronco to get airflow from the floor duct.I also extended the wiring for the TFI (6 wire plug) to the fender apron to get out of direct engine heat.After all this work I still have shut downs at the hottest part of the day mostly at freeway speeds.All the TFI wiring was checked for the correct voltage and resistance as per the TFI trouble worksheet. I am suspecting the pick up in the dist could be at fault?? This has been a 3 year cluster that I want to resolve, any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It could be the pickup.

Need a complete run down of a few things...

Is the module new?
Have you confirmed fuel pressure during events?
Have you confirmed loss of spark?
When you rebuilt the dis, did you replace the pickup?
How old is the coil?

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
The Dist. is remanufactured with a Ford part pick up (Autozone).I have not checked the fuel pressure at the time of failure due to being in the middle of the road most of the time this happens, but I've checked the pressure at other times and it was at spec right after driving on a hot day(Phx.).The coil was replaced last week.I went through the engine wiring harness to check for any faulty connections,grounds etc.Both EEC and fuel pump relays are new but will check the fuel pump electrical circuit today.The module is new and had Autozone test it and it passed 3 times.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Heat related issues are difficult to catch. It may test perfectly fine at the temperature it is while you are testing. But when it heats up an open circuit occurs.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
How long before you get it to start again? Does it do more often when your fuel tank is low?

Sent while I should be doing something else

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Between 25 to 45 minutes and the last time it shut down I had a 1/2 a tank of gas.

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Sounds like a characteristic of a bad fuel pump to me. Next time it does it, just check for fuel at the schrader valve in the fuel rail (key turned to run position). If there isn't fuel and/or there is air in there, it's the pump or the pump circuit.

Sent while I should be doing something else

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
That's next on the list to eliminate on a posable cause.Iam in the process now of checking all the ground conections to see if that could be contributing to the problem.