•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Door Locks Stiff

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have an 86 w/ electric locks. When I use the key its REALLY hard to turn, I have lubed all i can see, the actuators seem to move fine, when I try to unlock the door and turn the key I have to keep pulling up on the door handle til the door unlocks otherwise ill twist off the key in the lock, they used to be smooth, but not anymore.. Am i missing something that needs to be lubed?

Thanks!
Chaz.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Have you sprayed lube down into the lock cylinder?

Also, try having some new keys made. Sometimes that helps.

broncogal

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Loaded XLT
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
"Can't Never Did Shit"
Havent tried new keys, but I have sprayed the cylinders...

Chaz.

Remember if you have new keys made from the bad keys, you will end up with shinny new bad keys. The key cutter will only follow the path of the original keys, in the key cutting machine. So, find a spare set that has little, or no use, if you can. I would spray the lock with WD-40, and see if it makes a differance. What ever you do, don't gum it up with oil and grafite, as that will create a sticky mess with the pins and springs in the cylinder assembly.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well I mean the key turns (its not hanging up) but its REALLY HARD to turn like someone is pushing down on the lock with their thumb while im turning the key..

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Pick up a can of lock lube from an auto parts house. Not "Lock Deicer" because this stuff is totally different. It's graphite lube in a liquid based propellent. It's made exactly for this purpose...and once it flashes off? It won't attract or pick up dirt.

Spray a goodly amount in your locks. If still stiff? Remove the door panel (plenty of 'how to's' on the subject I'm sure.) Find your lock mech and hose it down with graphite lube. You'll want to "work" the parts while spraying to ensure everything gets an even coat. Most of the bars/rods use plastic snap retainers that double as bushings of sorts. Over the years things wear and get a bit rough to turn easy.

Try not to get any on your fabrics or hands. It's graphite after all...and leaves a hard to wash off coating.

S-