•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

doors off

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
I had plans on doing the door removal on my 89 also but after seeing the trip 1/2 doors that BONES did on his I might just do that. Just need to figure a way to make some removable windows for the 1/2 doors,preferably from clear plastic like the Jeep soft top doors.
Exactly what I've been looking into doing. Plastic button up or zipper windows would be sweet. I bolted an old set of BII mirrors on the half doors a couple days ago, so mine should be good to go as far as Johnny Law allows.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I got ticketed for it. Its because there is no lip at the bottom, like Wranglers have.

I drove around for ~3 months before getting stopped, and the officer the stopped me didn't say anything about the doors until another one showed up and mentioned it, so it depends on the officer that you run across. It was just a fix-it ticket, no biggie

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If someone wants to e-mail me I will send you some pictures of mine. I don't have them on photobucket so I am unable to upload.

Anyway I just bought a replacement mirror at O'Reilly's and attached it to a piece of flat bar about 4" long and attached the bar to the upper hinge using a long bolt. Never had any trouble with the law.

Steve
Steven.Lewis@Tinker.af.mil

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey BONES was it hard to cut the doors like that? What about opening them? I like those a-lot!!

Boggin

Reaction score
i kinda like the breeze i get with the doors off

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
as a former state safety inspector here in utah we were instructed to fail vehicles with removed doors that were not on a list of vehicles that had been designed with removable doors.

nothing about crap falling out. its about the structural integrity that is lost when taking the doors off. factory vehicles like wranglers have added support to compensate for no doors
Doors only provide structure when hit in the sides. Otherwise the latches and hinges would be a LOT more robust. I've covered a lot of accidents and doors aren't that much structure. And there isn't that much extra reinforcement in the door frames of Wranglers.

That aside, I see a good number of Cherokees, a couple B2s and a couple Tacoma trucks through the summer running doorless. Doubt they run through safety with them off...

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Removable doors are the way to go. It is a very easy mod on a lot of RBVs, I did it to my '86, a buddy's B2, and a couple others. You take the fenders off, then one hinge at a time, leaving the door closed. Drill the pin out of the hinge and replace it with a hitch pin, put the hinge back on, and repeat. You leave the doors shut so they stay lined up.

I have no idea if it is legal or not. I keep the doors on most of the time anyway. The only real reason I want them off in the first place is visibility when I'm out wheelin.

BONES

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Hey BONES was it hard to cut the doors like that? What about opening them? I like those a-lot!!
Wasn't hard to cut at all, I drilled out all the rivets holding the window mechanism on as well as pulled the bolts associated with it and then marked and cut the door. I started with the arm rest placement and measured to cut just below the arm rest, figured that was a good height to cut the door down to. I marked it from the front window opening down to just below the lower mirror bolt holes on the big chrome mirrors and then drew a line across the door up to where to door handle is, then a line up just past the out side door handle to line up with the back of the window. I used a wd40 can for the round cuts at each bottom cut, used a combo of jig saw and zip cut on the 4.5" grinder.

Door handle is on the inside only and easily accessible from outside.

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5

In CA there is nothing in the Vehicle code about requiring doors to be in place, or requiring a "lip" at the bottom of the door. You just have to have a drivers side mirror and a rearview, or passenger side mirror.

And I get slightly better fuel mileage with my doors off.:D

-Jester

Boggin

Reaction score
my buddy got a new wrangler a while ago, and weve been riding around in that doorless a couple times and all i can say is badass. ill deffinetly be doing it to mine.

RICO9

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Vehicle
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
I do it all the time. never been hasseled about it, even when i was pulled over with them off.