•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Drive line question?

AK Bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi everyone. Will the front drive line from an 85 automatic fit in an 84 manual? Along with the 84 I was given came an 85 auto. Im hoping I can take the front drive line off the 85 and put it on the 84 because the 84 doesnt have one currently. Are they the same length?? Thanks!

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I don't know offhand but you could just go pull a tape on both drivelines and find out...

AK Bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks Shran, parts car is a 15 miles away. Was hoping I wouldnt have to make another trip. Off I go!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Here I go again, can't help myself. :icon_twisted: Teacher once, teacher always. Typically, when you refer to a driveline, it's a term meaning an assembly. Vehicles have drivelines, consisting of a transmission, a driveshaft, differential . . etc etc etc. The piece you reference, is a driveshaft; part of the driveline. I know lots of people, places, etc, use the term driveline meaning a driveshaft . . . but just because they do it, doesn't make it right. Two wrongs, makes no right. Hell engine oil says motor oil on it!! wrong!! I just couldn't help, just tryuing to fix the world one step at a time :) ha!! Have a great day. :yahoo: Hope you found what you were looking for at the yard.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
^^^ Now I understand the OP's question. At first I thought it was so self evident that I didn't respond as I would have been an asshole about it.

Richard

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hell engine oil says motor oil on it!! wrong!! I just couldn't help, just tryuing to fix the world one step at a time :) ha!! Have a great day. :yahoo: Hope you found what you were looking for at the yard.
You make a very valid point that gives me a very valid but dishonest idea.

I wonder if I could pour "motor oil" in my starter blower motor and then sue the oil manufacturer when the blower catches on fire since I used "motor" oil to lube up the only actual motors on the vehicle.

I mean, the new business of America is suing other people for one's own stupidity, right?

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Here I go again, can't help myself. :icon_twisted: Teacher once, teacher always. Typically, when you refer to a driveline, it's a term meaning an assembly. Vehicles have drivelines, consisting of a transmission, a driveshaft, differential . . etc etc etc. The piece you reference, is a driveshaft; part of the driveline. I know lots of people, places, etc, use the term driveline meaning a driveshaft . . . but just because they do it, doesn't make it right. Two wrongs, makes no right. Hell engine oil says motor oil on it!! wrong!! I just couldn't help, just tryuing to fix the world one step at a time :) ha!! Have a great day. :yahoo: Hope you found what you were looking for at the yard.
You make a very valid point that gives me a very valid but dishonest idea.

I wonder if I could pour "motor oil" in my starter blower motor and then sue the oil manufacturer when the blower catches on fire since I used "motor" oil to lube up the only actual motors on the vehicle.

I mean, the new business of America is suing other people for one's own stupidity, right?
Merriam Webster defines the word "motor" as "any device that converts another form of energy into mechanical energy to produce motion"

By that definition the term "motor" is an entirely accurate description of an internal combustion engine.

It's also no surprise that Ford Motor Company and General Motors use the word in their names.

This is a case of "all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares" in the same way that a square is one specific type of rectangle, an internal combustion engine is one specific type of motor.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Lulz. Here we go again! I'll give an example of a large national parts/service corporation (Inland Truck Parts) that builds drivelines. When I hear "driveline" I think of the shaft connecting a transmission/transfer case to something else... "drivetrain" refers to the engine, trans, t-case, etc.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
"drivetrain" refers to the engine, trans, t-case, etc.
I'm sorry, that is incorrect.

The engine and transmission are part of the power train. The transmission, t-case, shafts and axles are part of the drive train. The shafts and axles are the drive line.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
I'm with ya on that adsm

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that is incorrect.

The engine and transmission are part of the power train. The transmission, t-case, shafts and axles are part of the drive train. The shafts and axles are the drive line.
So the transmission is part of both? :icon_confused:

Why is the t-case often covered under "powertrain" warranties then? Also, all the other pieces, such as the axles, CV shafts, wheel hubs, etc?

Furthermore, assuming (all semantics aside for the moment) that "driveline" = "driveshaft," this implies that either word is referring to the part connecting the transmission or transfer case to the axles, NOT the axles/axle shafts/hubs/wheels etc, correct? Therefore, using that logic, the term "driveline" ≠ axles, axle shafts, hubs, wheels, or any other driven elements. Right?

:thefinger:

jimbII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
go to a reputable parts dealer online and search both parts and see if the part numbers are the same for both applications

AK Bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Measured. Very close but not enough. I'll buy one.

AK Bronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just looked it up from NAPA and the manual and auto have different numbers, as well as different numbers for u joints
You are correct sir. Sorry to create such an issue with the language/wording of my post.

scooter

October OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Hot water heaters and ice box.

Todd S.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well having been a teacher of such courses as . . Power & Energy, Automotive Mechanics, Principles of Engineering and Electronics to name just a few, I think I am qualified to set the thread straight. Motors are electrical and engines burn fuel. That is as simple as I can make it for you.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Well having been a teacher of such courses as . . Power & Energy, Automotive Mechanics, Principles of Engineering and Electronics to name just a few, I think I am qualified to set the thread straight. Motors are electrical and engines burn fuel. That is as simple as I can make it for you.
I hate to nit pick here but what of air and hydraulic motors? what of steam engines? what of liquid fuel rocket engines, and solid fuel rocket motors? Once again I'll bring up Ford Motor Company and General Motors, the terms motorcycle, motorcar, motorway, motorcade, etc...

From a technical standpoint a motor is any device that converts one form of energy into mechanical energy to produce motion. An internal combustion engine does just that, so does a steam engine, so does a rocket engine, so do electric, air, and hydraulic motors.

an internal combustion engine is one type, one category, of countless motors. The two words are not by any means synonymous.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well Steam ENGINES are called external combustion engines. They get the "engine" nomenclature because they do burn a fuel, albeit "outside" the combustion chamber. As far as other "motor" examples. I eluded to in my initial post that the word "motor" is used incorrectly all over the place. Didn't you understand the jest of what I was saying?