•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Durango leaf springs installed

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Finally got motivated to work on the truck.

Got the durango springs mounted and happy with the way they mocked up. Shackle angle looks good to me.

Now to get the new locked axle in place and see if I need to redrill the spring pads to center the axle. They look to be 1.5" forward from the explorer springs I had previous.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
You can probably flip that front hanger over Joel to fix the interference problems.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You can probably flip that front hanger over Joel to fix the interference problems.
I thought about it but I have enough holes in the frame in that spot as it is. No need for another 3.

I'll modify the stock bracket to clear and later on down the road build new ones.

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
wow that is awesome, glad to see you got those in cant wait to see those in some new shots flexin

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I've run into a few issues with the way I have the rear setup on my B2 but for a stock setup this could give you a fair amount of lift before needing blocks.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
With the springs sitting on the full weight of the truck the front of the main leaf has a funny bow to it. I'll be cutting down an Explorer main and packing it under the Durango main to give a bit more support. I'll also be adding the Explorer overload leaf to the bottom, to give some more lift and help cushion when I hit the bumpstops. I'll likely post a picture or two tonight.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
That is BS Joel.....You should post pictures now!.....just kidding....

How does it ride now without the Explorer leafs in the pack?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
That is BS Joel.....You should post pictures now!.....just kidding....

How does it ride now without the Explorer leafs in the pack?
I don't know the truck isn't drivable at the moment. But if you ment how it compares to the old setup for ride height? That I can say it sits a bit lower than the old setup. This is why I want to boost the height by adding in an explorer leaf. Just by jumping on the back to settle things in I can tell you they are MUCH MUCH softer than the explorer pack. So the extra leaf will stiffen them up some too.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
At full droop I measured from the bump to the axle tube and I get 11.5". Not bad for a set of stock durango leaf springs. The shackle swing adds about 2-2.5" of droop to the setup. That is where the shackle flip shines. You can get a bit extra droop in just the shackles alone.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
can you get a close up of the shackle? In the pic it looks cut off :icon_confused:

Im no expert but the bow in the main leaf could be the result of a weird shackle angle.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
so why havent you dont a shackle flip? I would think the additional lift and flex would be an improvement over how you have it currently setup in the back there.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
GOTCHA that makes it much clearer haha thanks :icon_thumby:

One more question: where did you find used durango springs?? im in the market for a pair but cant find em anywhere. Thanks

Sam

Last edited:

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the idea behind the Durango spring swap? Never heard of anybody doing it before.

leumas12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
and theyre super soft and flexy :icon_thumby:

I actually chose durango springs for my truck because they have a large center pin offset, meaning it moves my axle back.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
and theyre super soft and flexy :icon_thumby:

I actually chose durango springs for my truck because they have a large center pin offset, meaning it moves my axle back.
Depends how they are mounted up. If the short side is to the front it's about 1.5" different than the Explorer springs. Meaning it will push the axle forward 1.5" Flip them around and you have a healthy offset but I don't understand why you would want that. Axle wrap is going to be a bitch.