•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

easiest way to fix front end

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
ok guys my wife is letting me get the parts to fix the bronco finally so with that said here is my question... i need to replace the front pass shaft (long one) whats the easiest way to do this i refuse to pull the knuckles i have no air tools. do i pull the whole assy with center section or can i get just the shaft out easier. i broke the outter ears hence needing the replacement

old guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I hate to tell you this but you are going to have to pull the knuckle to change this out. Unless you buy the complete beam and knuckle and shaft and put back in but I feel that is a waste of time since you don't know what the u-joint is going to be like in the replacement, plus that is a lot of extra work to just replace a axle shaft. Now I see that you are in Pa. Where abouts? I about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh. And on a side note I could cut you a good deal on the complete shaft since I will be pulling mine and will no longer need them. Pm me.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You do not have to pull the knuckle to get the shaft out. You actually have to remove the shaft to get the knuckle off.

BUT, to get the inner section of the passenger shaft out you have to pull the diff.

If you just need to do the joint at the end get tear it down to the spindle, cut the clamp on the end of the boot, and pull the shaft out. Then you can resecure the boot with zip tie when you are done.

Also, remember that you cannot press these joints in and out without damaging the shafts. You have to place one side across a vice and hammer on the other side at the weld to drive the shaft off the joint.

I also have a complete D-28 axle sitting that I would be willing to pull the shafts out of and sell. Heck, I'll sell the whole thing once I pull a few little parts off of the that I want.

Last edited:

bIIjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
im no where near pittsburgh aka im in franklin county adsm08 send me a message what you got may be a easier option for me worse case spare parts