•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Electric t-case control

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have an 89 B2 with the electronically shifted t-case. Is there any way to run the wires from under the dash directly to the case without using the controller that is normally mounted rearwards of the driver side door? Or do I need the computer-looking thing? My bronco has a chopped top, and all of its interior panels removed and no carpet, just bedliner coating. So my goal is to minimize the clutter of wires going everywhere.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Umm, if that were feasible, don't you think the factory would have left out that rather expensive piece of equipment?

It's not just a solenoid. It's got a whole sequence that makes a smooth shift without shredding the automatic locking hubs, with some interlocks that keep you from doing dumb stuff like shift to 4LOW while moving.

If you take a look at its connector, you'll see that there are quite a lot more than the minimum 4 wires you would need (one for each selection plus return).

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Cool, thanks. Thats kinda what I was suspected, just wish I could get rid of that thing and have less wires running across my floor!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
You could always take it out and put in a manual shift case.

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ive been keeping my eye out for a manual shift. Id like to buy one if I can find one in working condition.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I see manual 1350s all the time. It's the manual 1354s that are hen's teeth.

If you find one at all, odds are it's in fine shape, as it's never been in 4WD. Just check the lubricant; if it's full of shavings, it's been run low and you should pass. An easy probe if it has already been drained (quite likely at a junkyard) is to pull the speedometer drivegear and look at it.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
Smash I sent you a PM regarding the parts you were working a price for me on.....

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i did that for a while but its a pain. the motor needs to reverse polarity to go back to 2wd then. If u look at the motor there are 2 wires that go into the motor part of the assemly that are power and ground. run them into the cab and then u need a switch with 6 outlets or just plug something into the lighter and touch the wires by hand. It will go into 4 lo from 2 wd in about 1/2 a sec. its real hard to get it in 4 hi cause its real close to 2 hi.