•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Electric to Manual transfer case swap?

BishNasty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys,

I have a stock 87 bronco II 5 speed 2.9L.

The stock tcase is an electric and I don't feel like going through the hassle of trying to figure out why its not engaging. So my plan is to replace the electric with the manual.

Questions:

Will my current driveshafts work with the manual tcase?
Will it bolt right in?
Do I have to cut a hole in my floor?
What transfer case should I be looking for?

Thanks anything helps.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It will bolt up and work with your drive shafts IF you get a BW1350M. I have recently experienced an issue putting an 87 manual t-case in my 88 B2 though. It works fine until I shift into 2-hi and then the shift arm on the transfer case falls out of the lever. Given that I'd look for something 1987 or older because I suspect that my problem is the arm is too short. If I'm right you will have problems with the shifter hitting the end of it's travel before it fully engages 4-low.

Now if you find an 88+ case I will gladly swap shift arms with you.

You will need to modify your floor pan and carpet. The hole is already started since you have a 5-speed, you just have to make it wider, I found a utility knife and a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to be very effective. Let me look around my basement and garage this weekend. I took the factory FM145/BW1350M out of my 87 Ranger and replaced them with an M5OD/1354M a few years ago. If I can find the shift set and boots and what not I'll sell them to you if they aren't damaged. I can't remember for sure but I may have messed up the bottom of the boots a bit when I took them out.

Last edited:

BishNasty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Alright thank you very much. I'm going to get the tcase this weekend I let you know what u find.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I can't seem to find my shifter set from my 87, but I have confirmed my suspicions about the shifter pawls. The 88+ is about 1/2" longer than the older ones.

midnite runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
also if you take a wire brush to the inside of the shift arm they are stamped what they fit.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
The breakdown is this... if you want it to fit and work on a 1985-87 with a manual trans you need the t-case AND the shifter from a 1985-87 with a manual trans.

If it's gotta fit on an automatic, specifically a 1986-1990 (production date 11/89 or before)
A4LD it's gotta come off another one like it.

If you need it to fit a 1988-90 (production date 11/89 or before)
with a MAZDA M50D-R1 it MUST come off of a mazda equipped Ranger/Bronco2.

The A4LD shifter MAY work on an FM146, the "Mazda" type T-case shifter
will work on anything else but you need to remember that the "Complete shifter" included that little short arm that's bolted (actually "nutted" to the T-case)

You cannot "Mix & Match" the "shifter" with that little short arm.

I don't want to go into gory detail but I've identified ELEVEN different T-case shifters not counting thj unque shifter used on the 13-54(12/89-up)

AD