•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

electrical questions

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
my truck runs fine, so none of this is truely important. but wires drive me INSANE. i hate to see them and hate having alot of them. i have these wires that i suspect very strongly are not OEM and therefore can either be removed or replaced with something much simpler. it starts with a black box under my dash. it feels like there is a fuse on the side that faces away, but i cant get that far in to see it. from what i can see, one set of wires runs to my brake switch labeled "brake switch hot wire", and two green wires (oem) go from there twards the fuse box out of sight, this junction is wrapped in electrical tape. then there are more wires that run into a plastic cylinder.this cylider has a cable that is runs and ties into my throttle cable, this is mounted just above my brake booster to the right. then two more wires run down the body to a sensor (that i cant find online) that reads a magnet off of my driveshaft. what are these things, and can i rip them out? thank you for your input.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Cruise control.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
that is an aftermarket cruise control, i had one in my bronco II that never worked. it should be no problem to remove it.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Do you have a cruise control? I`m thinking it is possibly someones attempt at an aftermarket cruise the servo connected to the throttle butterfly controls the throttle and the sensor clocks the speed of the driveshaft. IDK did the 85 B-II come stock with cruise the older cruise speed sensors were in line of the speedo cable?

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
OOHHHH...that makes perfect sense. that just made my day knowing i can remove that miserable rat nest of hair thin wires from beneath my dash. thank you everyone for the speedy responses. so my next question is unrealated to this, but to people with the 2.8 bronco II, does anyone else have problem maintining speed up hills, or is this egine just in need of a good rebuild?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Do a complete diagnostic on the motor, check compression and for spark gap with a spark gap tester. How old is your last tuneup and oil change. Put in a new PCV valve and change it regular. Are you running oversize tires if so 3.73 or 4.10 ring and pinion will help on the upper end. Check you EGR valve and if it is still running the computer pull the codes. Disconnect the battery for at least half an hour and make sure all the sensors are connected and the vacuum lines are correct. Connect the battery and run the KOEO test and when it starts giving you codesend the test to erase the memory. Run it at least 20 minutes at medium speeds and then run the KOER test be sure and do the dynamic response correct. That will tell you if the knock sensor is working oh yea dont forget to clean all the connectors the knock sensor is in front of the starter in the block. The knock sensor will give you more power pulling a long hill as it will retard the timing. Another way to check the knock sensor is with a timing light. watch ignition timing as someone taps on the block next to the sensor the timing should retard with the tapping quick taps. Do not tap on the sensor they are brittle and hard to find. GL

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
wow....that alot of stuff to do...i know for a fact that i have vacume leaks, i can see broken lines, i was just wondering if anyone with good a engine is lacking a little in the power dep. if they were i was jsut going to do a 4.0 or 3.8 swap instead helping this poor little engine. this engine was SEVERELY mistreated by its last owner. its covered in oil and redneck repairs. i got it to stop hemmoraging oil, but before i sank more money into it, i wanted to know if its worth it. my buddy has a jeep with the 4.0 HO, im aiming for that kind of power...i know i wont get that stock, but am i better to switch engines or is there a good enough aftermarket for these to acheve that goal.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I have an 84 Bronco 2, 2.8L 4x4 5 speed with oversize tires, and 3.73 gears and I can do pretty good hills in 4th gear and maintain 55-60mph. Right now I'm dealing with some major oil leak problems, and a small fuel leak on the accelerator pump, but other than that I don't have any issues pulling hills. Now I did have issues before I unhooked the EGR valve which wasn't working and causing all sorts of idling problems and operating problems, I also removed the relay that's by the computer on the passenger side wheel well as something was causing that relay to act up and kept cutting power and was causing the distributor to cut timing and all sorts of crap and actually caused the truck to go into somewhat of a limp mode and wouldn't do more than 40mph floored.

Something else that could be a problem is if your catalytic converter is bad, if its restricting exhaust flow its going to hurt your ability to speed up, and maintain speed.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I just bought a tranny from a 84 truck fire. He left it for a warm up and the oil on the manifolds caught fire.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3646119876.html
Fix those oil leaks and clean the engine good with a pressure washer if you dont want this to happen. I`m hopeing to get the rear bumper next payday.

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i think my egr is fine, i just idle a bit high from the vacume leaks...i read on another thread that these elecronic feedback carbs are a bottleneck too, and that replacing them with a conventional one helps alot, is that true? and could i expect to run at least close to a 4.0 HO cherokee?

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
also, ive been looking into things to do to these 2.8s...i see alot of people like to swap distributers too...but this seems like a big hassel to me, could i not just get an older 2.8 and bolt it in

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
i think my egr is fine, i just idle a bit high from the vacume leaks...i read on another thread that these elecronic feedback carbs are a bottleneck too, and that replacing them with a conventional one helps alot, is that true? and could i expect to run at least close to a 4.0 HO cherokee?
Unless you build that 2.8 very very well you are not going to win any races against a ho 4L. The best thing to do to the little 2.8 is the duraspark conversion. It really helps the 2.8, but at the end of the day its still a 2.8.

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Sounds like you should do a 4.0ohv swap....the hp gains aren't too huge, but the torque gains are excellent. You'll be able to take hills all day. You could probably get a decent 4.0 for less than a quality rebuild on the 2.8, depending where you live and who ya know.

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
will the 4.0 just bolt in? i know you have to do all that computer conversion crap, but physically does anything have to change?

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Sounds like you should do a 4.0ohv swap....the hp gains aren't too huge, but the torque gains are excellent. You'll be able to take hills all day. You could probably get a decent 4.0 for less than a quality rebuild on the 2.8, depending where you live and who ya know.
He would be gaining nearly 50hp

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i also was wondering which carb people use to replace this feedback bull****...and if its quite literally just take the old one off and new one. if one of you guys have a link to a tech on it, i have a hard time finding things on this site...and if you swap the carb does anything else have to change.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
You can make a manual metering block to replace the computer controlled solenoid and retain the original carb. The jeep 4 liter ho does 190 hp, you're not going to get close to that. That being said, I never had a problem keeping up with the jeeps in my b2, 2.8, duraspark distributor, gm hei module and metering block. It also used less fuel than the jeeps.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I just bought a tranny from a 84 truck fire. He left it for a warm up and the oil on the manifolds caught fire.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3646119876.html
Fix those oil leaks and clean the engine good with a pressure washer if you dont want this to happen. I`m hopeing to get the rear bumper next payday.
Funny you mentioned repairing the oil leaks LOL, I just got done putting the starter back in from resealing the oil pan and installing lock washers on all the bolts this time along with some loc-tite, bet they don't work themselves lose now LOL. Have to wait for a friend to get home so I can borrow his pressure washer as well lets just say the whole underside of my bronco 2 is very well lubricated LOL.

azazeyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
what is a metering block? youll forgive me, untill now i was under the silly impression that carbs were carbs and tbi and tpi were all seperate. ive never seen a set up like these...also, how do i do it and does it help? and finally does anyone have a good tech or diagram for the duraspark conversion, because i read the article below and was lost...

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html